Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

20" Hartmann Wheels for Q7

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20" Hartmann Wheels for Q7

After five attempts of balancing these Hartmann HRS4-252-GS split seven spoke wheels (no spacers) with Conti DWS tires, I am ready to throw the towel. Bought it via KDM Tuning in NJ. THey installed it, balanced it but went back right away since they were shaking the Q7 pretty good. They re-balanced it. Improved but not fixed it entirely. Then, during my 5000 mile service, I've asked the dealer to check the balances. They found out they were off. BAsed on the feedback I received here stating that the type of the balancing they do is not desirable and accurate, therefore I took it back to KDM for the third round. Also, at that time I went back to 21s with Dunlops so I did not drive with teh HArtmann wheels since then. At that time, I contacted Hartmann distributor. When I told them, they said they woudl check the specs on others came with the same batch. It all checked out, they told me. Last week I went elsewhere which works on German and Italian cars only. I had them swapped back to Hartmanns but asked them to check the balances before install. They found one wheel was "really" bad. They did a test drive but couldn't get over 60mph due to "weather". Hubs were accurate, no play, they verified. Over the weekend, I was on the highway going over 65. Steering wheel was about rip my arm out if I were to hold on to it. I am going back again tomorrow.
By the mean time, when they took the 21s off, the rear insides wer shot. They were worn to the no thread left and scolloped. They suggested that I shoudl have less than 7000 miles on the car in between two sets of tires, I shoudl take it to dealer. I am not going to get into the dealer's attitude about it but they agreed to have the allingment checked. Turned out it was toed in. Now my Dunlops are shot after about 3000+ miles driving, I have a set of Hartmanns which appear to be nto balanceable. Dealer verified when allinging that there was no indication of anything bent or worn. Car is nof pulling to the left after the "alignment" by the dealer. I am getting frustrated with this. I don't like it is costing me money that I shouldn't have spent.