Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

2007 A3 Front Right Axle HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 A3 Front Right Axle HELP

Hi folks, new member. I have an '07 A3 S-Line 6-Speed. I was told by the dealer that I had a split CV boot and that my bearing was what was causing the ever-increasing hum in my right front wheel. So, I replaced the bearing without problem but also replaced the torn CV boot. Per a number of posts and reading lots of other forums I decided that it would be easier to replace the boot if the axle were off the car. It seemed relatively straightforward and the axle came out without too much of a problem. During the replacement of the outer boot and repacking the outer joint I began to think that the inner joint seemed too loose or something. Anyway, I replaced everything and go the axle bolted back into position and everything. I backed it up and moved forward within the driveway a few times and at first there was a slight clunking at the beginning of movement but then it went away after a few times back and forth. I decided (unwisely now) to take it around the block to see how it was working. I made it down the driveway and turned left for about 100 feet before all of a sudden it seemed to make a noise that definitely corresponded with the rotation of the wheels and there is not power getting to the wheels in forward or reverse. What have I done? I'm going to leave it in neutral and try too get to towed back up the hill and into the drive. Could this just be a bad inner joint or is this something much worse? Help!