Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Technical Discussion > Wheels & Tires Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires
Sponsored by: Tire Rack

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 12:41 AM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 271399

Default Adjusting steering wheel to centre

I was at a tyre shop the other day and after a wheel alignment I had to get the steering wheel adjust to center position.

I watched the mechanic lie on the floor with a spanner (or some tool) and do some sort of fiddling and he got up and it was adjusted. Looked easy. But I wasnt able to see what he did under there.

Can anyone tell me what he would have done and if there are any how-to instructions/videos on how to do this?

My car is a B8 A4 but I'm interested in the concept not to break my own car :-)
anonymousmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
AudiWorld Expert
Account #: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
I was at a tyre shop the other day and after a wheel alignment I had to get the steering wheel adjust to center position.

I watched the mechanic lie on the floor with a spanner (or some tool) and do some sort of fiddling and he got up and it was adjusted. Looked easy. But I wasnt able to see what he did under there.

Can anyone tell me what he would have done and if there are any how-to instructions/videos on how to do this?

My car is a B8 A4 but I'm interested in the concept not to break my own car :-)
I replaced my steering wheel with a flat one and had to take the wheel off using a special tor socket. Not sure what was done to center yours.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 271399

Than you Reggie.

I got another thing which I am not sure is correct. We drive on the left in Australia. When I drive, I hold the wheel straight and the car goes straight. But when I let go, the car goods veers to the left with the road camber but the steering wheel also tilts slightly to the left. Would this be normal or should the wheel remain straight?

When I drive on a reasonably flat road, it doesnt tilt so much.

But when I hold the wheel, dead straight, unless the road is very sloped, the car goes straight. But when I let go, the wheel tilts a little and it veers.

Also when I let go of the wheel and I break, if the road is slightly on a left slope, the wheel goes to the left. In a flat car, park it seem straight.
anonymousmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
AudiWorld Expert
Account #: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
Than you Reggie.

I got another thing which I am not sure is correct. We drive on the left in Australia. When I drive, I hold the wheel straight and the car goes straight. But when I let go, the car goods veers to the left with the road camber but the steering wheel also tilts slightly to the left. Would this be normal or should the wheel remain straight?

When I drive on a reasonably flat road, it doesnt tilt so much.

But when I hold the wheel, dead straight, unless the road is very sloped, the car goes straight. But when I let go, the wheel tilts a little and it veers.

Also when I let go of the wheel and I break, if the road is slightly on a left slope, the wheel goes to the left. In a flat car, park it seem straight.
This sounds normal - remember we have very wide rims and tires so the road will dictate what happens a lot.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement