Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

All-season tires really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All-season tires really necessary?

Hi there!

This will be my 2013 S7's first winter in the mid-Atlantic region (where the average low/high temps are: Dec 33/47, Jan 29/43, Feb 31/47). It is about time to replace my PZeros, so I'm weighing the important options.

I really don't want to have two sets of tires, so I'm looking at putting on all-season tires (Continental DWS are the ONLY all-seasons that fit the S7), or the better-handling Michelin Super Sports summer tires. Obviously the all-season tires would be better for the two or three cold months we have, but I've heard their lower-handling capabilities would change the character of the car the rest of the year. (And I've heard great things about the Michelins, which, of course, would be better for 9-10 months of the year.)

It is obviously not ideal to run the Michelins in the coldest/potentially snowy months, but how bad is it? (A subjective question, I realize.) I'd love to hear from you if you have experience with the Michelins in mid-Atlantic type winters.

Alternatively, I'd appreciate any comments on overall (including warm-weather) satisfaction with the all-weather Continentals. How much of a compromise do they require?

Thank you!!
Old 10-05-2014, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Summer tires essentially are worthless below 40-45 degrees. The rubber compound turns hard like a hockey puck and the tires loose their grip even on dry pavement. Prolonged exposure to temperatures below 40 will also make the rubber brittle over time. Having said that, I drive with summer tires all year long here in Northern California where winter temps can drop into the low 40s and even 30s sometimes. However, I mostly drive during the day and I keep the car garaged at night, so that it isn't out in the cold night.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My experience with summer tires (DW) and just a touch of snow here in Vancouver, Canada was scary. Quattro makes her running fine but braking and cornering spells disaster. Go downhills and die. So I would recommend two sets of wheels. Makes her Humvee close relative and last twice longer than one set. All seasons are good too, but not as good as any of two properly used.

My experience with DWS comes from two close friends (A4 and BMW 535). Both are very happy with them. They last long, quite a bit longer than DW's and they are quieter. Most people won't feel any difference in handling. This are not racing cars anyways.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DC S7
Hi there!

This will be my 2013 S7's first winter in the mid-Atlantic region (where the average low/high temps are: Dec 33/47, Jan 29/43, Feb 31/47). It is about time to replace my PZeros, so I'm weighing the important options.

I really don't want to have two sets of tires, so I'm looking at putting on all-season tires (Continental DWS are the ONLY all-seasons that fit the S7), or the better-handling Michelin Super Sports summer tires. Obviously the all-season tires would be better for the two or three cold months we have, but I've heard their lower-handling capabilities would change the character of the car the rest of the year. (And I've heard great things about the Michelins, which, of course, would be better for 9-10 months of the year.)

It is obviously not ideal to run the Michelins in the coldest/potentially snowy months, but how bad is it? (A subjective question, I realize.) I'd love to hear from you if you have experience with the Michelins in mid-Atlantic type winters.

Alternatively, I'd appreciate any comments on overall (including warm-weather) satisfaction with the all-weather Continentals. How much of a compromise do they require?

Thank you!!
When I got my Q5 I immediately drove it to Discount Tire and put on Conti DWS and planned on running them year round. After one winter I found them to be very white knuckle driving in snow. They never lost traction but never felt planted in the snow and ice I saw. By the time I discovered this it was too late to buy snow tires for the year but I immediately got tires and wheels before the next winter.

Remember all wheel drive does not help with stopping or sharp maneuvers. If you have to use your car in bad weather then get a second set of tires and wheels for winter. If you don't have a place to store them then rent a storage locker
Old 10-06-2014, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

OP didn't say anything about snow, but I agree. If there is a chance for snow and ice or cold temps mixed with rain then I agree. Get a set of good winter tires. I should have qualified my answer for those who are not familiar with NorCal climates. Our winter days are either cold and dry, mild and dry or mild and wet (rain). Nothing a summer tire can't handle. If we go up to the mountains during the winter, we take my wife's car which has all-season tires and a set of chains.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just ran the car around some corners in 42F. No way the summer tires stay on. Quattro keeps you in the corner but absolutely you can feel the slip pushing through, and I know the car is slower.

Only decision now is put the 20's away to avoid potholes bending them, or not. Likely heading to 18's with all-season swapped each year.

But what a market gap I think I've found -- nobody anywhere near me, that I can find, will store the winter wheels/tires. So, moving things around in the garage in happening.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looks like you have the same tire size options that I have. I stumbled into a set of rashed up OEM wheels that I use in the winter. They are the 19" but I would have preferred the 18"ers.

With two sets of wheels and tires, you can drive confidently in the winter, and burn through the corners in the summer. Costs more up front, but you'll buy tires less often. And if you switch your wheels yourself between seasons, you'll also save $$$.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just FYI based upon Gary's sticky post and a TireRack video showing how much different winter and all season tires are, I think I'm heading for winter only tires and skipping all seasons. Hope this helps somebody someday.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SamLV
Just FYI based upon Gary's sticky post and a TireRack video showing how much different winter and all season tires are, I think I'm heading for winter only tires and skipping all seasons. Hope this helps somebody someday.

Tire Rack Tire Test - Winter/Snow vs. All-Season vs. Summer Tires on Ice - YouTube
Great video thanks
Old 10-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DC S7
Hi there!

Thank you!!
I want to state that the best bet is always to run a summer and winter set up for maximum traction.

That being said, I live in the Mid-Atlantic (Delaware), and because of the lack of snow (25 inches total in 3 winters since I moved here), the relatively mild days (average highs are above freezing, meaning that most snowfalls melt during the day), and lack of storage space, I run all seasons all year long. But where I live, its flat as flat can be, and there has been only one day where the roads near me were covered in snow/ ice all day, and since the kids were home from school, I ran one errand, and the tires I have (Pirelli Scorpion Verde in size 265/50/19) performed fine. But I am also a conservative driver. And I drive a Q7, which is very heavy, and not a vehicle really meant for more aggressive driving. Sure, its sporty and nimble relative to its size and class, but its not the same as driving a hatch, coupe or sedan.

If you live in Western MD, extreme northern DE, and anywhere in VA away from the coast I would run winter tires from about mid-Nov to mid-March. The higher elevations mean colder temperatures (even if dry, cold temps make summer and all season tires really hard and useless) and roads with more curves and varied terrain where grip is vital.

Background: I grew up in the mountains of PA, and snow/winter tires were required, and in high school, I swear they saved my life when I had to maneuver my beater 1975 Chevy Nova (I acquired it in the early 90s). It was a rear wheel drive, underpowered, understeering beast. All seasons would have meant I would have died by crashing down a ravine next to the road I was on when a deer jumped in front of me in 1993. I am being serious. Stopped about 3 inches away from hitting the guardrail. That was with brand new winter tires.

That being said, if you live on the flat coastal Delmarva peninsula, like me, all seasons are capable. They are not the best, mind you, but perfectly capable. Its simply too warm and flat here for snow or below 45 temps to cause major problems on a consistent basis for all but the most aggressive drivers.

So it depends on where you live, and how you drive it. But even if you live in Delmarva, if you can afford it and have the room, no matter what vehicle, go with a winter wheel and tire set up, preferably more narrow than what you run in the summer, for better rain, snow and slush traction in cold weather.

Quick Reply: All-season tires really necessary?