Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Anyone used RAD Wheel locks? Others?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone used RAD Wheel locks? Others?

Why do they come 4 per pack? Is the thinking that one per wheel should be enough? Unless they go under the center cap (sorry, never looked under there, so I don't know if there's a fastener of any sort), how would that be balanced?

How well do they really work? And if someone really wanted your rims, wouldn't they just break into your car and search for the key?

Apologies for the dumb questions, but I'm not finding a lot of info on these.<ul><li><a href="http://www.radgmbh.com/eng_start.html">http://www.radgmbh.com/eng_start.html</a</li></ul>
Old 10-21-2008, 02:52 PM

Default 4 per pack because you use one lock for each rim instead of the lug bolt...

if you choose to keep you key in the car, don't keep it in the glove box. I keep mine in the little tools bag in the back.

If the thieves actually break in to my car, and find the key, then more power to them and they can have my rims. OK, not really, but....
Old 10-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Former Vendor

Default All the time..

We're one of their largest US retailers and have been carrying them for over 6 years. They're a fantastic product made in Germany.

Typically 1 lock per wheel is used. you can certainly double up and put multiple locks on each wheel if you feel the need. But most common applications use just 1 locking lug on each wheel.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

the locks are a deterrent, nothing more and they work, one per wheel deters
Old 10-21-2008, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hiding places & risks

&gt; if you choose to keep you key in the car,

You mean if you choose not to have to tow your car or have someone fetch your key, any time you get a flat?

&gt; don't keep it in the glove box.

Exactly what I was thinking. Plenty of places to hide it that non-Audi owners wouldn't know about: compartments beneath seats, inside rear armrest, various places in the trunk (but not with the spare tire or tools!), etc.

Just don't put it anywhere you can't easily instruct the dealer to check via phone, should you forget to tell them when dropping off your vehicle.

And don't forget to tell anyone else who ever drives your car about it!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default More questions

Can you get two sets with the same key?

Also, I saw some mention, on their website, about 2-piece locks. What's that all about? If they're like the 2-piece lug bolts, it seems like they have a built-in washer. Is that to protect the wheels, or something?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you must have some baller wheels to be needing 2 sets. locks are just a deterant

and if a theif wants your wheels he will get them whether you have locks or not. RAD's locks are pretty nice. probably the nicest out there.

But i gave up on locks since i figure if a theif wants my wheels, oh well. a wheel lock ins't going to stop him. without the wheel lock, if they steal my wheels maybe they will do less damage to my car since they didn't have to get frustrated with a wheel lock. just my 2 cents..
Old 10-21-2008, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Actually, I could see anyone with forged wheels &amp; racing brakes using 5 sets.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

What about Porsche wheel locks?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Former Vendor

Default Re: More answers

Yes, we can always special order kits to have matching keys. Catch up on a good inventory day and we may even have some kits with matching keys.

2piece lug bolts with the separate washer are designed to hold torque longer and more consistently. Factory Audi and Porsche bolts now use this design for safety.
RAD bolts are now available in some sizes with the 2piece design.

Quick Reply: Anyone used RAD Wheel locks? Others?