Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Audi Winter Wheels & Tires Packages

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:34 AM
RSP
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Winter Wheels & Tires Packages

I am currently running the OEM 19" Y alloys with factory supplied Dunlop Sport Maxx GT (255/35XR19)summer performance tires on my 2009 A5 S-Line with 3,400 miles on the car and wheels. I live in the Pacific NW (Portland,OR/Vancouver,WA) and we get an occasional dusting of snow a couple weeks a year. Last winter was an exception with a half a foot at low lying areas that lasted a week or so. I do not take this car in the mountains for skiing in the winter. Having said all of that, I think it prudent of me to either get a winter wheel/tire package with high performance snow tires or possibly switch out to all season tires for at least the winter months.

Audi has a nice looking 18" winter wheel tire package for the A5/S5 on their web page that is accessed via their Special Offers section:
http://microsites.audiusa.com//ngw/1...20Brochure.pdf

Here is where I could us a little advice from knowledgeable forum members. With the driving conditions I have described, would you suggest I get another set of 19" Y alloy wheels and mount all season tires or go for the Audi winter wheel and tire package? I can get the former done using new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (255/35ZR-19 XL 96Y B)tires and slightly used 19" Y alloy OEM wheels for somewhere between $2,200-$2,500. The later would run me approximately $2,200-$2,300 from the dealer with the ACNA discount.

Now on to the evaluation of the later option using the Audi Winter wheels/tires package. For the 2008/2009 A5/S5 they include Continental TS 790 tires, for the 2010 A5/S5 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D tires. I'm told the Dunlops are a little better tire and the reason for the difference between the MY 2008/20009 and 2010 is the cost to Audi for the TPMS mounted inside the tire on the former vice the lack of this type of system on the MY 2010. They do not list the tire size but I believe it to be 225/45 R18.

Now to my questions:
1) Do you recommend going with the OEM 19" Y alloys with A/S tires or going with an Audi supplied fairly attractive 18" alloy wheel with true winter high performance tires in an environment that is mostly rain, a little ice now and then and infrequent snow on the road surfaces?

2) Has anyone used or at least seen the 18" Audi winter alloy wheels on an A5 or S5 and if yes, what did you think of their looks?

3) Does anyone have experience with winter driving and the Michelin Sport A/S Plus, Continental TS 790 or Dunlop Winter Sport 3D tires?

Your feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks,

RSP
Old 12-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Former Vendor

If purchasing a dedicated tire and wheel package that is for winter use only, I would get a tire that is built for that purpose rather than a compromising with an all-season tire.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:01 PM
RSP
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Winter Tires for A5 19" Y Alloys

Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack.com
If purchasing a dedicated tire and wheel package that is for winter use only, I would get a tire that is built for that purpose rather than a compromising with an all-season tire.
Gary:

Would I be able to get a good high performance winter tire for the 19" Y OEM alloy wheels? They came with 255/35-19 Dunlop summer performance tires.

What tire brand/model and size would you recommend for my current wheels and what is the price for them from Tire Rack?

Thanks,

RSP
Old 12-01-2009, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack.com

+ 2 for second set with dedicated winter tires to be swapped on and off as needed.

I grew up at north with 4 months all white winter and no chains and I have always had 2nd set (either studded on unstudded) and still buy 2nd set no matter it might be a bit overkill for Kansas winter. I have those for frequent visit to Rockies and Utah so I don't need to worry about snow.

Last winter when I got new Q5, it came with All Seasons and after few days on snow I knew I will get 2nd set with real winter tires.

It is up to individual feeling, one likes all seasons and one doesn't.

One thing I don't get is people talking about performance winter tires.

Performance means speed means hard acceleration and deceleration and cornering and there is no such things on ice and snow. Such driving style just screws up your tires as those are softer compound and dissapoints owner when tires feel squirmy, noisy and gets low miles with such driving style.

With winter tires lower profile means harder ride especially when tire wears out and that is why I prefer not to go under 60 profile. 65-75 better....

Yes your car is coupe so 4x4 33x12 monsters doesn't work and I was just pointing out th profile difference.

Why from Audi? With 2500 and less you can get set with high quality forged rims...

Last edited by kleinbus; 12-01-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:29 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RSP
Gary:

Would I be able to get a good high performance winter tire for the 19" Y OEM alloy wheels? They came with 255/35-19 Dunlop summer performance tires.

What tire brand/model and size would you recommend for my current wheels and what is the price for them from Tire Rack?

Thanks,

RSP

You certainly can. In that size the very highly rated Dunlop Winter Sport 3D is available and would be an outstanding choice.

Current pricing can be found here :

Winter http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR8&...nter/index.jsp
Old 12-02-2009, 04:51 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kleinbus
+ 2 for second set with dedicated winter tires to be swapped on and off as needed.

I grew up at north with 4 months all white winter and no chains and I have always had 2nd set (either studded on unstudded) and still buy 2nd set no matter it might be a bit overkill for Kansas winter. I have those for frequent visit to Rockies and Utah so I don't need to worry about snow.

Last winter when I got new Q5, it came with All Seasons and after few days on snow I knew I will get 2nd set with real winter tires.

It is up to individual feeling, one likes all seasons and one doesn't.

One thing I don't get is people talking about performance winter tires.

Performance means speed means hard acceleration and deceleration and cornering and there is no such things on ice and snow. Such driving style just screws up your tires as those are softer compound and dissapoints owner when tires feel squirmy, noisy and gets low miles with such driving style.

With winter tires lower profile means harder ride especially when tire wears out and that is why I prefer not to go under 60 profile. 65-75 better....

Yes your car is coupe so 4x4 33x12 monsters doesn't work and I was just pointing out th profile difference.

Why from Audi? With 2500 and less you can get set with high quality forged rims...
+1 about $2500+ packages from Audi. Hard to justify that kind of price (and markup!) with many aftermarket options of equal or greater quality available at much better prices.

The original poster *could* minus size all the way down to 16" with 225/55R16, and this would be an appropriate for many/most areas of the country that get snow. People living in areas that you grew up in and where I am located would be best suited in most cases to minus size and purchase the best snow tire possible.

However, if we take his description of his winter driving literally (an occasional "dusting" for a couple of weeks and no mountain driving) the performance snow tires may be a better option given that 98% of his driving is on dry roads and that tiny bit of snow driving is just a dusting.

I would caution the original poster to think hard about his winter driving conditions over the years and be sure that the description is accurate. It only takes one good snow storm or a prolonged cold period with light snow for accumulation to add up quickly.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:37 PM
RSP
Audiworld Junior Member

I did not opt for the Audi winter wheel/tire package for my 2009 A5 S-Line due to the fact that the package for the 2008/2009 A5 comes with Continental tires and I really preferred the Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds that come with the package for the 2010 A5. The dealership told me the reason for the difference is the added expense for the supplied TPMS system for the 2008/2009 MY and thus Audi decided for the same price to provide a little better tire for the 2010 A5 winter package that doesn't require TPMS mounted on the wheel.

I decided to purchase another set of OEM 19" Y alloys and mount the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D tires on them. I have not had to drive them in snow or on icy roads yet, but can attest that they do great in heavy rain conditions. On dry pavement they handle and ride similar to the factory provided Dunlop Sport Maxx GT tires.