Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Can rims with 5x114.3 bolt pattern be re-drilled or modified to fit an A4? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2001, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can rims with 5x114.3 bolt pattern be re-drilled or modified to fit an A4? Thanks.
Old 10-27-2001, 10:24 PM

Default Even if it could be done, its not a good idea to do that. (long explanation)

Let me paint a picture for you:

That re-drilling process may also involve some welding, etc.
That would be major modifications to the wheels themselves.
If one or more of the wheels fails or breaks, OR a few lug bolts break, etc, while you are driving, and there is an accident (because maybe a wheel falls off), it will be next to impossible to lay blame on the wheel manufacturer/distributor. It will also be somewhat difficult laying blame on the lug bolt maker. You may be able to point the finger at the shop that did the wheel drilling/welding, but you don't want to rely on that as a defense, because they can say they were just doing what you told them to do.
The wheels would have a major modification, which not only could make the wheels prone to failure (or lead to a lug bolt failure), but could cause you to bear the majority of the liability if any injuries resulted. When I say injuries, I don't just mean you. There could be others in your car who get injured. There could people in other cars who are injured or killed when a wheel/tire flies through their windshield (That happens a lot more than you'd think).
If somebody dies or is severely injured as a result, a messy and complicated products liability lawsuit would follow. I can assure you that you will not like being a party to such a lawsuit. I have been on the Plaintiff's side and I've been on the Defense side of such litigation, and I can tell you that the individuals involved were more than inconvenienced. Women cry at depositions and trial, and men get angry; some of them cry too. Trust me, its ugly. As a side note to that, insurers HATE big payouts, even if they win the case, the defense costs are HUGE. Depending on your State, such a lawsuit can impact your insurance rates, regardless of whether or not you win. Maybe that reason alone is enough for you to think twice about such a modification.

Try to minimize the extent of modifications to actual parts themselves. Try to leave the parts (even wheels) in the same form that they were in when those parts were made or delivered to you. That way, it will be much easier to blame the manufacturer/distributor if there is a problem that results in an accident and injuries.
The reason is that products manufacturers can, sometimes, avoid liability, where their product was modified after it left their control. I'm not talking about modding, as in putting a "chip" in your car; I'm talking about modifications to "parts" themselves.
Old 10-28-2001, 10:49 AM

Thanks Dave, definitely somethings that I'm thinking about...