Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

confusion

Old 11-04-1998, 12:33 PM
agaur

Default confusion

I have an A4 QTS with the Dunlop SP8000s. EVERYTHING I read on this board as well as independent research confirms that I, living in Chicago, cannot risk driving on those tires in our winters. <p>However, I just got off the phone with two retail tire stores (Discount Tire and Just Tires in Chicago's Western suburbs) and BOTH sales reps, who are in the business of selling tires to people like me, told me that the SP8000 is OK for winter and that they wouldn't waste time and money changing over.<p>Unbelievably confusing when real world advice tells you one thing and then I run into two of the most honest sales reps telling me the opposite. One of them actually told me that he would feel as if he were stealing my money if I changed tires.<p>Advice? Opinions? Much appreciated.<p>AG<br>98.5 A4 QTS<br>
Old 11-04-1998, 05:20 PM
JJ

Default Re: confusion

There is NO substitute for true snow tires. Quattro or not. I can't believe a "knowledgeable"<br>tire salesman would say other wise, especially comparing them to a tire like the SP8000. If you only have one car to drive during the winter, and you live in a place like Chicago (or other snowy area), buy dedicated snow tires. You'll enjoy driving a lot more, not to mention the safety factor.<br>JJ