Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

do you need winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do you need winter tires?

I just bought a 2012 a4 quattro, premium plus after having lived in NYC and not owned a car for many years. I will be keeping the car outside the city, but will be traveling frequently to VT during the winter. Do I need witner/snow tires? Have heard very differening opionions on this and wanted to know what folks in the northeast have to say. Thanks very much.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:48 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kingrat55
I just bought a 2012 a4 quattro, premium plus after having lived in NYC and not owned a car for many years. I will be keeping the car outside the city, but will be traveling frequently to VT during the winter. Do I need witner/snow tires? Have heard very differening opionions on this and wanted to know what folks in the northeast have to say. Thanks very much.
One can discuss whether or not snow tires are needed (this is a matter of opinion), but there is no debate about the fact that they are much better on snow and ice than all season tires. If you're just looking to get through some light snow, driving slowly and carefully then most all season tires will get the job done. If you want to have superior traction and more driving confidence in snow and ice, consider winter tires.

Winter http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR8&...nter/index.jsp
Old 11-26-2013, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Gary, thanks very much. I know you have reviews and recommended installlers on your website, but I wanted to you know if you or anyone else on here has had any personal experience with shops in or around Westchester, NY and/or southwestern CT? Any places with great service who also would store your summer/all-season tires? Thanks very much.

Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack.com
One can discuss whether or not snow tires are needed (this is a matter of opinion), but there is no debate about the fact that they are much better on snow and ice than all season tires. If you're just looking to get through some light snow, driving slowly and carefully then most all season tires will get the job done. If you want to have superior traction and more driving confidence in snow and ice, consider winter tires.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kingrat55
Gary, thanks very much. I know you have reviews and recommended installlers on your website, but I wanted to you know if you or anyone else on here has had any personal experience with shops in or around Westchester, NY and/or southwestern CT? Any places with great service who also would store your summer/all-season tires? Thanks very much.
You should post this question in the local forum for your area
Old 01-17-2014, 02:50 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Need? No. Want? Yes. "All season" tires are OK the first year you have them, but once they cut in a little, they quickly lose their snow-worthiness. I've driven some press cars up here on all season tires, and no, they don't hold a candle to real snow tires back to back.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack.com

I take pretty much anything Tire Rack says as gospel, they are hands down the best site on the web for tires, everything else, you know where to look