Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Flat tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-1998, 07:27 AM
Dan Wyman

Default Flat tire

Does anyone know where in Orange or San Diego Counties (CA) I can get a replacement Continental (16") for our 1.8T? My wife just called to say she has a flat that can't be repaired. (Yes, I actually like the Conti's, at least for the street.)<p>Discount said they don't stock Conti's.<p>Also, since the tires have 32,000 miles on them, should we get 2 new tires? I've heard that with AWD, having tires the same diameter is more critical. Or is the tread difference between a new and older tire negligible?<p>TIA!<p>Dan Wyman
Old 11-03-1998, 10:12 AM
Dan Wyman

Default Re: Flat tire

Update:<p>Another Discount store has the tire, but says that we do need 2 tires. The salesman said it had something to do with the "electronic transmission." I informed him that the car is a stick, but he said it didn't matter.<p>I called a few other tire stores, and the consensus seems to be that if the tire is replaced by an exact replacement, there should be no problem, even with the slight difference in diameter due to tread wear.<p>Although these tires aren't that expensive, I'd still like to know if I really need to purchase 2 of them and if the AWD is a factor.<p>Thank you for your responses.<p>DW<p>
Old 11-03-1998, 12:30 PM
John

I think if I were you, I might take the opportunity to have a full sized spare. Put two new tires opposite each other, and put the good 20,000 mile one on a steel rim in the trunk. Then if it happens again you'll be all set.<br>Just a thought.
Old 11-03-1998, 12:52 PM
Dan Wyman

I may do that.<p>Thanks.<p>DW<br>
Old 11-03-1998, 01:26 PM
Jim Simone

As a source of OEM tires, you may want to check the A4.org classifieds. There were some folks looking to sell theire Contis a while back. You might find a good deal.<p>In any case, if you plan on continuing with the Continentals, you might want to get two new tires and save the extra one for an emergency spare. I'm not sure if the differences in tread depth would affect the EDL (electronic differential lock) system, which controls wheelspin side to side, but two new tires for the winter couldn't hurt.<p>Jim