Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Newbie to Audi wheel swaps

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie to Audi wheel swaps

Hi Guys - we recently bought our 2nd A8L, we own a 2003 and now a 2011. I'm looking to replace the curb rashed wheels on my wife's "new" '11 but I'm very confused as to what wheels fit what cars. I never did any wheel swaps with her old (my new) '03, but the wheels on the '11 must be dealt with.

Is there a "Audi wheel fitment guide for Dummies" somewhere out there? I'm a 56 yr old "old school" car guy that needs to be educated on these D4 wheel dims. I understand what all the numbers mean, I just don't know what wheels swap with what and figured you guys have done enough of that so I'm hoping to glean some of your proven knowledge - thanks in advance!!

Old 05-04-2016, 01:04 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Biggest thing is to make sure they are the same bolt pattern and center bore. After that you have a good amount of options whether you are stepping up in width or height.

I find the site below helpful when playing with wheel and tire sizes.

Click HERE

I hope this helps!

Jason
Old 05-07-2016, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Let me try short cut as a D4 owner and already getting some wheel sets. I stick with OE sets, but do jump around some when a different OE model set cross fits well and offers benefits and/or look I want.

Your easiest donors are of course from D4's. The 20" ten spoke wheels are pretty easily found, sometimes with good tires. Those are forged (stronger, lighter), though few realize it. There are also 19" sets around like the ones in your picture, which are somewhat more basic and with narrower tires. Thus you probably have 255's on those; the 20's are 9" and come with 265's or can use 275's.

Your next best choice are from A7s/S7's. The offsets are the same for the wheels as a D4, and again 20's around in various looks (including the same 10 spoke forged), and some 19's IIRC. The A7's/S7's use a tire that is one aspect ratio/one inch smaller in overall diameter than D4's, so you don't want to buy those wheels with tires. The tires would fit a D3 more or less, but I think are too big a diameter for your D2 as well--you would need to check. Any time you buy wheels with tires you can actually use, at least from a private party, my experience is you get a better overall deal. As in, tires don't add a lot to the price with many private sellers. The indy wheel shop profiteers often try to change pretty top dollar though.

Another possible donor that works offset wise are S5's. Tires will be way off size wise. Q5 wheels can work and offsets pretty compatible, but tire sizes not right and those wheels are both heavier and narrower than a lot of D4 choices. Do NOT use A6/S6 wheels from current generation; offsets are too conservative. Also don't look at prior generation ones like D3, D2, C6, etc., because hub center is now bigger on most current Audis.

Again, for KISS, look for other D4 sets, or look for A7/S7 but then dont get those with tires. Find the right ones and you can pick up forged, in some cases like the 10 spoke ones for essentially no extra $ because so many sets seem to get sold.

I look here rarely BTW; more often I'm on D4 board and this is a natural D4 subject. If you look there I have a thread going in last month or so on various 20" D4 wheels.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-07-2016 at 09:19 PM.