Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Q7 19 inch tire question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 03:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 19 inch tire question

Hi all. I have used this site for about 2 years to gain insight on what Q7 owners use and recommend for tires, brakes, accessories, etc. Its great. You have all been very helpful.

I joined today because I need new tires soon, and I have some specific questions about tires that I can't seem to find when I search, so either I search incorrectly, or maybe no one has asked these questions or used the tires I'm interested in.

I have an '07 4.2 Premium with 265/50/19's. Bought it in 2010 with 22k on it. They came with the original Duelers, which lasted to about 48k, but were noisy as heck. I replaced them with Pirelli Scorpion Verdes. Loved them, nice and quiet, but I am at about 21k, and they are down to 4/32nds. Very disappointed. Also, they seem to be wearing in the middle more than the edges, even though I keep them inflated to the specs on the door jamb sticker.

I have been looking at the Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus, which in theory, should last longer. Also on the radar are the Michelin Latitude HP and the Nitto NT 421Q.

So my questions are as follows:

1) I have read on here that Q7's do go through tires quickly, but why would the Pirellis be half the mileage of the Duelers? And why are they wearing in the middle when the Duelers did not? Is this common for this vehicle? Or are the noisy Duelers just that much better of a tires? (FYI, I'm a conservative driver. This is my long distance family hauler. I haven't driven above 70mph in 20 years after a series of speeding tickets as a teen driver. So I am not aggressive and chewing up tires. I do load it up for long trips, but don't tow or use the roof rack.)

2) Does anyone have the Plus model of the Pirelli tires already, and if so, are they an improvement over the originals?

3) Thoughts on the Michelins? They seem to have less of tread depth when new than the others, but I read reports of great tread life.

4) I can't seem to find any Audi drivers using the Nittos. I looked long and hard, and found some Jeep Grand Cherokee and Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia owners who found it to be remarkably quiet and better in wet and light snow conditions than their previous tires, but those are vehicles with different off road and towing capabilities, so not quite an exact class comparison vehicle. Has any one here used any Nitto tires ever? Its got the best tread depth and mileage warranty of my three choices, but I don't know anything else about it.

Thanks