Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

replacing Conti Contact Pro with Continentials

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 04:15 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Conti Pro Contact and ExtremeContact DW are about as different from each other as two tires can get. The DW is a 20,000-25,000 max performance summer tire that concentrates on the best wet and dry grip. The Conti Pro Contact is a 40,000-50,000+ tire that focuses mostly on wear, ride quality and snow traction. The Extreme Contact DWS will fall in between the two.

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR8&...ires/index.jsp
Old 09-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Gary! I am now confused, not about what you said, but what tire to get. I was happy with the Contact Pro, but would enjoy slightly better wet weather handling. My only fear with summer tires is when temps in NJ/NY hover around 30s in say Nov or late April when I dont have my snow tires on. Do you or anyone have other suggestions? I'm not planning on drving like a sterotypical SUV doing 80mph on a flooded roadway, but want something that can handle in the rain. Treadlife is not my top priority, I have snow tires on for 5 months of the year. Can I do better then the Contact Pro? I am not attached to any particular brand.

Last edited by dknj; 09-18-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:32 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dknj
Thanks Gary! I am now confused, not about what you said, but what tire to get. I was happy with the Contact Pro, but would enjoy slightly better wet weather handling. My only fear with summer tires is when temps in NJ/NY hover around 30s in say Nov or late April when I dont have my snow tires on. Do you or anyone have other suggestions? I'm not planning on drving like a sterotypical SUV doing 80mph on a flooded roadway, but want something that can handle in the rain. Treadlife is not my top priority, I have snow tires on for 5 months of the year. Can I do better then the Contact Pro? I am not attached to any particular brand.
The Extreme Contact DWS does have better wet traction than the ContiPro Contact and would be a great choice. Other top wet traction tires that can handle freezing temps would include the Bridgestone Potenza RE970 A/S and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S03.

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR8&...ires/index.jsp
Old 09-19-2013, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've had a set of the Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires on my 2005 A6 for a few years now and have been very pleased with them vs. the Pirellis which originally came with the car.

I do have to replace them soon since the tread indicators are down to "DW" or "DV" out of the "DWS" which means that they won't be good for the coming winter here in New England. I currently have over 40K on the tires and although the tread is still fairly good, two of the tires are experiencing "belt shift".
Old 12-04-2013, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm about to pick up a 2012 A6 (later today) with 18" ContiPro Contacts. The car and tires have less than 10K miles on them and are in great shape. Just wondering on your thoughts on whether these tires are okay for winter New England driving (almost all highway)?

I'm coming off a 2005 A6 which had the Extreme Contact DWS tires for a number of winters but am not familiar with the ContiPro Contacts.

I'd rather not have to buy new tires immediately but the winter weather will be here soon.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Former Vendor

The Pro Contact is fair in light snow if you drive slowly and carefully. Most would consider the DWS a step up in snow traction from the Pro Contact.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack.com
The Pro Contact is fair in light snow if you drive slowly and carefully. Most would consider the DWS a step up in snow traction from the Pro Contact.
Gary,

Now I'm confused. Earlier in this thread, you wrote that when comparing the DW and the Pro Contact that the Pro Contact was better for snow traction with the DWS in between. Now you saying that the Pro Contact is fair in light snow but that the DWS is better for snow traction. Can you explain?

Also, if I went for a straight winter tire (not all weather) for the Boston area, what would you recommend for a 2012 A6 3.0t with 18" wheels?

Thanks
Old 12-06-2013, 06:58 AM
Former Vendor

The exact quote was "The Conti Pro Contact and ExtremeContact DW are about as different from each other as two tires can get. The DW is a 20,000-25,000 max performance summer tire that concentrates on the best wet and dry grip. The Conti Pro Contact is a 40,000-50,000+ tire that focuses mostly on wear, ride quality and snow traction. The Extreme Contact DWS will fall in between the two."

The DWS does not have the razor sharp handling and ultimate dry grip of the DW, but it is not as soft nor as quiet as the Pro Contact. It falls in between the two.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

the hedge: I was switching between Contact Pro to dedicated winter tires - Dunlop Winter 3D. I do highway driving to a ski resort destination where the Contact Pro did not cut it when it is snowing out in my opinion