Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Replacing tires with Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing tires with Quattro

'01 A4 1.8 Quattro - 205/R60/15

Since I purchased the car in 2004, I've been running Eagle LS tires on it, with no complaints. It is what it came with, so I stuck with it. The other day, I got a nail in one of the tires too close to the sidewall to patch. Goodyear has stopped making the LS in my size, so I'll have to get something else. Is having one different tire going to make a noticeable difference in the handling or ride of the car?

I would bite the bullet and replace all four tires, if not for the fact that I bought the new set within the past year.

If I'm unable to track down an Eagle LS, what tire would you recommend I match with?
Old 01-26-2009, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Talk to gary but I doubt that he would recommend a different tire

You also have to know that the new tire has to be within 4/32nd of the diameter of the existing tires.

From their website
The ability of four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles to divide the engine's horsepower between its four tires is especially useful on loose or slippery surfaces such as sand and dirt, as well as on wet, icy or snow-covered roads. However it's important to remember that in order to transfer this extra power, the four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicle's driveline mechanically connects the tires so they work in unison.

Four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles are equipped with additional differentials and/or viscous couplings that are designed to allow momentary differences in wheel speeds when the vehicle turns a corner or temporarily spins a tire. However, if the differentials or viscous couplings are forced to operate 100% of the time because of mismatched tires, they will experience excessive heat and unwarranted wear until they fail.

This necessitates that four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles use tires that are very closely matched. This is because different diameter tires roll a different number of times each mile as a result of the variations in their circumferences. Tire diameter variations can be caused by accidentally using different sized tires, tires with different tread designs, tires made by different manufacturers, different inflation pressures or even tires worn to different tread depths.

As an example of different tire diameters resulting from tires worn to different tread depths, we'll compare two 225/45R17-sized tires, a new tire with its original tread depth of 10/32-inch and a second tire worn to 8/32-inch of remaining tread depth. The new 225/45R17-sized tire has a calculated diameter of 24.97", a circumference of 78.44" and will roll 835 times each mile. The same tire worn to 8/32-inch of remaining tread depth is calculated to be 1/8" shorter with a diameter of 24.84", have a circumference of 78.04" and will roll 839 times per mile. While the difference of 1/8" in overall diameter doesn't seem excessive, the resulting 4 revolutions per mile difference can place a continuous strain on the tires and vehicle's driveline. Obviously, the greater the difference in the tires' circumferences, the greater the resulting strain.

This makes maintaining the vehicle manufacturer's recommended tire inflation pressures and using "matched" tires on all wheel positions necessary procedures to reduce strain on the vehicle's driveline. Using "matched" tires means all four tires are the same brand, design and tread depth. Mixing tire brands, tread designs and tread depths may cause components in the vehicle's driveline to fail.

Mismatched tires or using improper inflation pressures for all-wheel drive and four-wheel drive vehicles can also result in immediate drivability problems. Some Control Trac equipped vehicles in 4Auto mode may exhibit a shutter on acceleration and/or a noise from the front driveline and transfer case while driving. Some all-wheel drive and four-wheel drive vehicles may exhibit axle windup or binding while driving. Some four-wheel drive vehicles (manual or electronic shift) with a two-wheel drive mode may refuse to shift "on the fly" into 4x4 Auto or 4x4 High at highway speeds.

Rotating Tires

Because the front and rear tires of all-wheel drive and four-wheel drive vehicles perform different duties while accelerating, braking and cornering, tire rotation is important to even out, and maintain equivalent treadwear of all of the vehicle's tires to minimize potential driveline stresses.

If the vehicle is equipped with a matching road wheel and full-sized spare tire, they should be integrated into the vehicle's rotation pattern at the first tire rotation. This will allow all five of the vehicle's tires to share in the workload and wear at similar rates. In the event that a single tire is damaged and has to be removed from service, this will allow the tread depth equivalent spare tire to be used with the remaining three tires.

If the spare is not integrated into the vehicle's tire rotation pattern, it will not match the tread depth of the four worn tires on the ground when called into service. Additionally, if a single tire is replaced by the full size spare tire, hopefully the new replacement tire can remain as the spare tire until the other four tires have worn out and need to be replaced.

Replacing Pairs of Tires or Individual Tires

There are several suggestions that have been offered to drivers who are replacing pairs or individual tires on their four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles. Some vehicle manufacturers recommend that all tires maintain the same rolling radius and circumference, while others suggest that all tire circumferences remain within 1/4- to 1/2-inch of each other. Other vehicle manufacturers recommend that all four tires remain within 2/32-, 3/32- or 4/32-inch of each other, or within 30% of each other in relative remaining tread depth.

Regardless of the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations, the least stressful application is when all four tires are the same tire brand, tread design and equivalent tread depth.

Before buying pairs or individual tires for all-wheel drive and four-wheel drive vehicles, drivers should read their vehicle's owners manual or contact the dealer's service department for confirmation of their specific vehicle's requirements.

Matching Tires By Shaving Them to Maintain Equivalent Tire Tread Depths

What does a driver do if one tire has to be removed from service when it and the other three tires have already worn to two-thirds to one-half of their original tread depth? Simply installing one new tire runs the risk of drivability problems or expensive driveline damage. Replacing the other three partially worn tires along with the damaged tire significantly increases the cost.

The Tire Rack can provide a solution by matching the tread depth of the replacement tire to the tread depth of the partially worn tires that will remain on the vehicle by removing tread rubber from a new tire on a specialized machine that operates as a tire lathe. While this may seem counterintuitive, the value of the mileage sacrificed by the one replacement tire is considerably less than the cost of rebuilding worn driveline components.

The Tire Rack has offered a tire shaving service that has been primarily used for preparing competition tires for racetrack use. This same service can also be used to remove tread rubber from new pairs or individual street tires used on four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles to allow them to match the remaining tread depth of the other partially worn tires that will remain on the vehicle. In addition to providing equivalent tread depth to eliminate driveline stress, shaved tires will also better match the traction and handling qualities of the remaining worn tires.

While the cost of our street tire shaving service will range from $25 to $35 for each tire, it is significantly less than the cost of unnecessarily replacing the remaining two or three good tires with lots of mileage still available from them.

Here are recommendations from some of the manufactures that the Tire Rack currently serves for matching the tires used on their four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles. Additional recommendations from other Original Equipment Vehicle Manufacturers is pending.
Audi As published in their vehicle owner's manual, "rolling radius of all 4 tires must remain the same" or within 4/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth.
Porsche Cayenne within 30% of the other tire on the same axle's remaining treadwear.
Subaru Within 1/4-inch of tire circumference or about 2/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You can do so much better than the LS...

but before we can suggest anything, you need to tell us more about your driving conditions (summer only tires? all-seasons?), and driving style.

Personally I thought the LS was one of the crappiest tires I've ever driven on, but I suppose it all depends on one's expectations and driving style.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Do over w/4 new tires, 15 inchers are cheap. The new Eagle GT is pretty hawt.

Someone you know will take 2 of the old ones for use on a non-awd car. Eagle LS is the kind of tire you give to someone you don't like. Look if the Eagle Response Edge comes in your size. Night/day in quality....amazing that they even carry the same name. The new Eagle GT has a lot of potential and tested by Tire Rack staff well, maybe #1 in it's class.

If you want more ideas, yeah there are a lot of nice tires got the money in 15", General Altimax is one. Tell us more about your driving conditions, budget, etc.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:52 AM
Former Vendor

Default Can't argue with that. It is subpar at best. More...

If you're looking a tire that is in a similar catagory with a balance betwen ride, wear (~50k miles) and performance I'd consider the Bridgestone Potenza G019 or if you are in a light snow area the Yokohama Avid H4S. For a step up in grip and handing, but a bit less wear (30k-40k) check out the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 A/S or Goodyear Eagle GT.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR8&amp;url=/tires/index.jsp">Tires</a></li></ul>
Old 01-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default To Follow-up...

To follow-up...

I was hoping to just replace the single tire, since the others are rather new. However, I've had a hell of a time tracking one down.

If I am forced to get a new set, my driving style isn't anything outside of basic, everyday driving. I don't go to the track, and I don't race around. I do live in NJ, so all-season is the best option since we get some snow, but nothing like NE or the snowbelt in Cleveland where I grew up. Preferably, I'd rather not spend more than $110 or so per tire.

Thanks!

Btw, do AWers receive any sort of discount from TireRack?
Old 01-28-2009, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Goodyear Eagle GT: $69.00 at Tirerack

You won't have to spend anywhere near $110 to get a good tire in that size. Lots of good choices in the $70 - $80 range.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Generally, if you drive a lot of miles, buy cheap and replace often. If you use tires 4-5 years...

go ahead and buy better ones. You'll need to get many winters out of them, and better tires will work better when old. 15" tires are cheap in general, so go ahead and splurge if you will have them on the car for years and years.

otoh, if you burn through a set every year or two, try out cheaper models to experiment and if you like them you can get the same ones, if not you can try another tire before too long.

There are really only a handfull of excellent tires on the market in all price ranges. At any given price point there are only 2-3 superior ones to select from. Pick a price and narrow it down, you will not regret ditching the LS.