Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Summer vs all season vs winter tires on ice

Old 10-19-2014, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer vs all season vs winter tires on ice

In my search for solutions, I came across this TireRack video. This is excellent evidence that at least where I live choosing an all season tire is a potentially serious compromise. I'm wondering how much noise a winter tire makes on dry pavement and how bad it will perform at the limits. If it is really bad it looks like choosing an all season tire where I live means avoiding the most hazardous conditions almost entirely. What is certain is that summer tires at low temps and any ice or snow will be a disaster.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for posting this
Old 10-22-2014, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I see you are in the Lehigh Valley. I grew up in Bethlehem, PA. My dad required me to run snows on my 1975 Chevy Nova back in HS in the early 90s.

But it does totally depends on where in the LV you live, where you drive, and local commitment to snow removal and salting in the winter. We lived on a hill on the Southside, and it was no secret that other than Rt 412, Broadway, Rt. 378/Wyandotte, and South Mountain Drive, we pretty much were considered all tertiary, if we got plowed at all. Svow tires were a must.

But places like Hanover Twp, Macungie, Lower Saucon, and what roughly encompasses the Parkland School District, even though they had a lower population density and were mostly suburban/exurban, had a better budget for local roads and usually were easier to drive after a storm.

Yes, separate winter and summer set ups is the best. But all seasons can be capable depending in your driving style, terrain, and local road conditions. Now, I wouldn't take any long trips in the winter anywhere in the Northeast without dedicated winter tires. Yeah, they are noisy, and yeah, it drops your mpg, and lower quality winter tires can be absolutely crappy on dry roads on a mild day. But I'd rather deal with that than having no traction in winter conditions.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

I live in Macungie, but I do drive up/down route 100 to split my time with my GF near King of Prussia a great deal. I also do drive for sales calls.

I suspect I'll not only go with a Blizzak winter performance tire (just a bit of compromise) but also mount them on 18" wheels to avoid damage to tires/wheels from the infamous potholes of PA!

I do agree with you completely, because around here, if I just avoided storms, I could pull it all off with all-season tires, and surely most people do that. But the all-season tires are totally unacceptable for my driving desires with the car in the summer, for sure.

Someday, in a perfect world, I'll own a Q5, RS5 and and R8 and I'll pick one based upon conditions and mood.... but, until then, off to spend $2K+ to get set up safely.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Also to take into consideration is how winter tires performance drops when temps rise above 42F.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/techn...396/story.html

C&D did a test a few years back, the UHP All Season (Pilot Sport A/S) outperformed the two winter tires in both dry and wet conditions at 23F, so if you're not seeing a lot of snow pack, the all season uhp could be a better choice. Especially if you have big temperature swings like we do along the front range.

2009 Winter Tire Test - Comparison Tests
Old 10-26-2014, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Excellent advice. I'm leaning exactly that way. I'll give up a bit for performance. 👿. I will miss runs over Blue Mountain and Kings Highway while the summer tires and wheels sleep.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SamLV
Someday, in a perfect world, I'll own a Q5, RS5 and and R8 and I'll pick one based upon conditions and mood.... but, until then, off to spend $2K+ to get set up safely.
Make mine an S3 hatch (which obviously, is a dream in the US) as my errand car, an S6 for most of my other driving, and keep my Q7 for the long trips, and I'd be happy.

These would all be diesel, of course, in this dream.

Someday.......
Old 11-07-2014, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yet another resource for this thread, hoping the next person who searches for answers finds it useful. Video on winter tires for perforamnce from TireRack. And kudos to Gary from TireRack for taking the time on the phone with me today to finalize my choice. I'll be putting on 19" wheels with one of these tires selected. Probably the Michelin. Now, I'm to,d 19" with the right tire is fine for hitting a pothole in PA. Until now, I thought an 18" would be preferred.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=181
Old 11-08-2014, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SamLV
I thought an 18" would be preferred.
Sure they would! 18's are always better than 19's, unless they can't accommodate your brakes.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump, this video is excellent reason why I'm considering the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 tires for my A3 this winter. I don't want any problems in the harsh road condition of the Midwest Winter.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 - A non-studded tire that offers supreme driving comfort and safety / Nokian Tires