Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Tires and CPO question

Old 10-22-2014, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires and CPO question

It seems that Audi increases the speed limiter on models that come with summer tires from the factory. So, can a dealer sell such a car as CPO with all-seasons if the car originally came with summer tires? Or there is no restriction set forth by Audi?
Old 10-22-2014, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tna3
It seems that Audi increases the speed limiter on models that come with summer tires from the factory. So, can a dealer sell such a car as CPO with all-seasons if the car originally came with summer tires? Or there is no restriction set forth by Audi?
The tires that are used should be rated per the manual - it has nothing to do with summer vs winter or all seasons. If one uses lower rated tires then it is up to you to limit your speed not audi or the dealer
Old 10-23-2014, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reggie
The tires that are used should be rated per the manual - it has nothing to do with summer vs winter or all seasons. If one uses lower rated tires then it is up to you to limit your speed not audi or the dealer
Let me make my question more specific. Audi is probably trying to protect themselves against a litigation by making sure they lower the speed limit when they equip cars with all season tires (most all seasons are H or V rated.) So if a dealer picks up Audi inventory with low tire speed rating because the previous owner put new tires, and VIN indicates car is capable of a higher speed limit, is the dealer obligated to replace the tires to match the car before selling as CPO? Thanks.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tna3
Let me make my question more specific. Audi is probably trying to protect themselves against a litigation by making sure they lower the speed limit when they equip cars with all season tires (most all seasons are H or V rated.) So if a dealer picks up Audi inventory with low tire speed rating because the previous owner put new tires, and VIN indicates car is capable of a higher speed limit, is the dealer obligated to replace the tires to match the car before selling as CPO? Thanks.
I would think that the dealer should replace the tires with the correct speed rating - but I doubt many dealers service department look at the tire speed rating but only the tread depth. It is a issue that I am sure they would correct if the topic is brought up.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Questions like this one make lawyers so rich.

Like anybody in North America will manage to blow a tire by over speeding.