Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Yokohama Advan Sport A/S

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yokohama Advan Sport A/S vs. Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2

The new Yokohama Advan Sport A/S came out a few months ago to replace the highly regarded S.4s. The handful of user reviews on Tire Rack for the Yokos are very positive and one of the Tire Rack guys told me they have a new Test coming out with these matched up against the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2, the Conti DWS, and one other tire.

I'll report back after I swap out my Hankook's for the Yokos.

Last edited by onthebeam; 10-16-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yokohama Advan Sport A/S vs. Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 review

Swapped out the Hankook's today. Even though they are Tire Rack's #1 UHP all season tire, on my A7 they were quiet on smooth roads but really loud on less than perfect road surfaces, including long stretches of interstate.

The Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2s were also jarring over bumps and expansion joints, but I forgave the tire for most of that being that it's a UHP tire. Otherwise than that, they handled very well wet and dry, and cornered admirably, too.

However, so glad I switched to the new Yokohama Advan Sport A/S. Initial impressions are that the Yokos are far quieter and also grip and corner well. No experience driving in the wet, yet.

The Yokos are also far smoother over bumps and expansion joints, no more bothersome than a typical grand touring tire feel. So, for my car, Yokos are superior for both ride comfort and noise.

I'll be posting again soon with more detailed impressions after I've put some more miles on the Advan Sport A/S tire.

Last edited by onthebeam; 10-15-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by onthebeam
Swapped out the Hankook's today. Even though they are Tire Rack's #1 UHP all season tire, on my A7 they were quiet on smooth roads but really loud on less than perfect road surfaces, including long stretches of interstate.

The Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2s were also jarring over bumps and expansion joints, but I forgave the tire for most of that being that it's a UHP tire. Otherwise than that, they handled very well wet and dry, and cornered admirably, too.

However, so glad I switched to the new Yokohama Advan Sport A/S. Initial impressions are that the Yokos are far quieter and also grip and corner well. No experience driving in the wet, yet.

The Yokos are also far smoother over bumps and expansion joints, no more bothersome than a typical grand touring tire feel. So, for my car, Yokos are superior for both ride comfort and noise.

I'll be posting again soon with more detailed impressions after I've put some more miles on the Advan Sport A/S tire.
Thanks for the update great info
Old 10-20-2014, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What size wheels are you using? I've got 20" wheels on my A6, and both PZeros and Michelin pilot sports have proved very loud with a harsh ride.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Joe@joeadams.com
What size wheels are you using? I've got 20" wheels on my A6, and both PZeros and Michelin pilot sports have proved very loud with a harsh ride.
That's the reason I had the car built with 19s. With young kids in the back I didn't want them bouncing around too much. I don't know how many miles on your current tires but I definitely recommend the Yokohama Advan Sport A/S for ride comfort and low noise.

As I mentioned, I'll report back with more experience in the wet. So far, dry grip, steering response and cornering are all excellent.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Michelin A/S 3 vs. Hankook Advan Sport A/S : Noise and Ride Comfort

Interesting, my experience with noisy Hankooks has been echoed by several owners of the Michelin A/S 3. Quiet on smooth surfaces, loud on any road less than perfect.

From Michelin A/S 3 owners:

"The A/S 3's are still noisier than most, and I think its a combo of tire compound and tread design. They're weird though. They're dead silent on perfectly tight paved roads, but as soon as you're on rough or uneven road AND at low speed, they're noisy."

"I just replaced the Pirelli P-Zero tires on my A7 with the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. I immediately noticed how much smoother the ride is with the Michelin tires. . . I also immediately noticed how much louder they are. I don't mean just a little louder. I mean really loud. . . At 45mph, we had to talk over the tire noise. At 65, the waffling wah-wah-wah-wah-wah sounds like truck tires. Road imperfections that I no longer feel, I hear loud and clear. I'm not sure I'll keep these tires very long."

"Whoa . . . You stopped me dead in my tracks with your comments on how loud the Michelin Pilot A/S3's are."

By the way, I mean no disrespect to either Michelin or Hankook, or the happy owners of these tires. They are both strong tires, no doubt, but if noise and ride comfort are at the top of your list, the Yokohama Advan Sport A/S seems to hit a nice sweet spot between comfort and performance in the UHP all season category that is so well suited to European sports sedans.

Last edited by onthebeam; 10-22-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks.

I knew nothing about wheels, and tires, and their effect on noise and comfort when I got the car. The salesman told me that 18" wheels would smooth and quiet the ride, and would swap a set for the 20" wheels. Unfortunately, I was really tired, and did not require them to make the swap before I bought the car. Once they put the 18" wheels on, there was terrible steering lag. So, I went back to the 20s.

Anyway, now I have a fantastic sport/luxury car that has amazing handling. The trouble is that what I really wanted was a quiet smooth riding luxury car with good cornering.

Thanks for the report on the Advans. They sound like just what I need.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks.

I knew nothing about wheels, and tires, and their effect on noise and comfort when I got the car. The salesman told me that 18" wheels would smooth and quiet the ride, and would swap a set for the 20" wheels. Unfortunately, I was really tired, and did not require them to make the swap before I bought the car. Once they put the 18" wheels on, there was terrible steering lag. So, I went back to the 20s.

Anyway, now I have a fantastic sport/luxury car that has amazing handling. The trouble is that what I really wanted was a quiet smooth riding luxury car with good cornering.

Thanks for the report on the Advans. They sound like just what I need.
19s might work very well for you. Do you have the sport suspension on your A6?
Old 11-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Based on your review, I put the Yokohama Advan Sport A/S tires on my 2014 A6 with Sport suspension and 20" wheels. They are great! The ride is smooth, and as quiet as you can hope for with 20" wheels.

They replaced the Pirelli Pzeros. The Pirellis were loud and the ride was harsh. The Advans are 100% smoother, and 75% quieter. I think that the Pirellis handle a little better on twisty mountain roads. But I would trade the comfort and quiet, for the almost imperceptible reduction in handling in any car that I was not planning to race. Since I don't race, the decision is simple.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your review. The Advans transformed my A6 from a car that I was starting to hate to a car that I love.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Based on your review, I put the Yokohama Advan Sport A/S tires on my 2014 A6 with Sport suspension and 20" wheels. They are great! The ride is smooth, and as quiet as you can hope for with 20" wheels.

They replaced the Pirelli Pzeros. The Pirellis were loud and the ride was harsh. The Advans are 100% smoother, and 75% quieter. I think that the Pirellis handle a little better on twisty mountain roads. But I would trade the comfort and quiet, for the almost imperceptible reduction in handling in any car that I was not planning to race. Since I don't race, the decision is simple.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your review. The Advans transformed my A6 from a car that I was starting to hate to a car that I love.
It's my great pleasure, Joe. I'm still liking them a great deal, too. It's also possible my Advan Sport A/S might be very slightly less sticky as compared with the Hankooks but I'll trade that small difference for the far better ride and much quieter driving experience any day. Still deciding re stickyness but all is well!

We've had an unusually dry month here so not much experience in the wet, yet. How 'bout you?

Quick Reply: Yokohama Advan Sport A/S