"Museum Mobile" at the Ingolstadt plant
Text from the Audi AG press release
Ingolstadt - Audi is to open a car museum at its Ingolstadt plant by the end of the year 2000. The museum mobile will have taken 18 months to build.
The basic idea behind the museum is movement and change. This is reflected both in its architecture and in the layout of the exhibition. The architectural model for the building's circular form has been borrowed from nature: it is based on the cross-section of a tree trunk with its annual rings.
The museum mobile will trace the history and the development of the Audi brand, from its origins to the present day. Various displays will present the development of mobility, the drive for freedom and individualism and the relationship between man, machine and technology in the brand's tradition, which dates back over 100 years. Around 60 cars and 20 motorcycles will represent milestones in automotive history.
The future museum is part of a newly created Audi zone for customers and visitors. Several buildings are grouped around a central area: the triangular office building "Market and Customer" for Marketing, Sales and Public Relations employees was inaugurated last September. Customers can collect their new vehicle that has been produced in the direct vicinity from the Audi Center, which opened back in 1992. Over 60,000 customers and employees took advantage of this last year, more than 150,000 people visited the Audi Center. The link building between the Audi Center and the museum will accommodate various restaurant facilities which are accessible to all visitors.
Museum, customers collecting their vehicle in person, factory tours and attractive restaurants are all part of a comprehensive tourist concept which - together with the city of Ingolstadt and the Altmühl Valley Tourism Association - is designed to bring visitors and customers closer to both the Audi world and places of historic and scenic interest in the region.
Audi celebrated three historic anniversaries in 1999: 100 years of Horch, 90 years of Audi and 50 years of the "Four Rings" in Ingolstadt. In 1899, the automotive pioneer August Horch founded the car brand of the same name. In 1909, August Horch set up his second car company under the name of Audi (the Latin translation of "Horch", the German word for "hark"). Production in Ingolstadt began in 1949.
Audi is an international developer and manufacturer of high-quality cars. The company maintains production sites in Germany, Hungary, Brazil, China and South Africa. In 1999, Audi sold around 635,000 cars and produced more than 1.2 million engines, bringing in sales revenues in excess of DM 29.6 billion. The Audi Group has around 47,000 employees.