Checked your CV boots lately?
First off, here's what we'll be dealing with:
1. Pop out center cap and remove collar bolt for drive axle. If you have a standard hex bolt, it will be 23mm. If you have an allen bolt, then it is 14mm. My '97 had the 23mm bolt, and the 14mm allen bolt will be included in the CV boot kit. It should always be replaced, never re-used.
4. Pull out the ABS sensor from
the wheel bearing housing.
6. After removing the bolt, gently tap out the control arms from the bottom. Do NOT use a screwdriver (or similar) to pry open the slots.
7. Turn the steering wheel to the
left, as far as it will go. You should now be able to manipulate the hub
assembly in order to pull the driveshaft out.
9. Clean off some of the grease, so you can see what you're doing. Drive off the CV joint with a drift. Place drift on one of the points of the "star," as seen by the yellow arrow.