05 A4 broken timing belt & possibly toast engine

Old 05-28-2016, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 A4 broken timing belt & possibly toast engine

Was just told by my mechanic that the timing belt on my 05 A4 Quattro broke-- It started fine, drove it for 3-4 miles in Chicago rush hour traffic, and suddenly it just quit. It would crank but not start, so had it towed to the mechanic, who, at first thought it was the fuel pump, but, when they finally got it to start, figured it was a timing issue-- He said that the engine sounds like there is good compression, so he thinks that there is a slim chance that the engine may be OK just by replacing the belt-- the water pump would also have to be replaced, as it seems like the water pump froze and that might have caused the belt to break-- The thing is that we won't know what condition the engine is until the belt is replaced, and it would cost over 1K dollars just to find that out. And, in more likelyhood, it will need a new motor anyway. What is the easiest way for me to tell whether or not the valves were bent or any other engine component is damaged or anything else that is common with this sort of issue? I'd love it if just having the timing belt and water pump put it on would get it up and going again, but would like to be prepared with options for a rebuilt engine-- my mechanic's quote for a rebuilt engine is upwards of 3K, which I'm told is in the high side-- Does anyone know of any reliable & reputable sources for rebuilt Audi engines in the Chicago area? Many thanks in advance!