AWM Chassis ATW Motor help

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 11:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWM Chassis ATW Motor help

Hey guys, I need some help. I have a 2001 A4 1.8t Quattro (my 2nd A4 B5). 5-speed with 170k. Traded my 98 prelude for it 2 months ago (dont hate on me, I came back to audi, right?). Guy didnt know any helpful info about the motor swap (or was probly lying cause he couldnt figure out the issues)....anyway, it has a 2000 ATW motor in it. Ive done as much as I could figure out and find online about converting everything over with wiring to make it all run right and have no cel. Still getting codes (will add after explanation). Car runs ok, idles smooth, doesnt smoke or backfire, turbo is in good shape with no shaft play and spools smooth, sounds great. It is spiking tho. No mods that I could find

Getting codes for cam being over retarded (p0012)
Code 17522
Code 17963
Code 16396

Im running stock 01 me 7.5 ecu, have wired up the wideband ecu pins and resistored out the vvt (atw doesnt have it on head), unplugged battery and reset codes (and let ecu adapt gas pedal 1min before starting, cahnged oil and filter with mobile 1 5-30 full synthetic and mobile 1 filter, new plugs, air filter is newer, new coolant temp sensor, new coolant and thermo, drove 30-45min mixed drives multiple times, and codes above still come back.

I just picked up a n75 and n112 valve earlier today and will install in the morning, and boost gauge (finally).

Sorry for the long post. My 1st time posting on a forum. Been doing my own car work for years, but Audis are a different category and require the utmost attention to detail on every job as ive learned.

Anyone have some helpful input? I'll take it all, even criticism, as long as it helps my issues. And I'll FOR SURE post the results, unlike alot of ungrateful pieces on the sites...hahaha
Old 03-12-2015, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, finally had time to work on the a4. Figured out a couple of the issues. Swapped out my rear o2, my n112 valve had a broken nipple where the vacuum runs to the combi valve, and my n75 had a ripped boost line.

All codes are gone except the p0012/16396 for the intake cam being over retarded.

My question is...is there a way around this code by ecu tuning (or other ways), or am I stuck having to swap out the cam tensioner with a vvt equipped one.

Car runs great right now, but I want it to pass my next emissions test.

Thanks in advance for anyones time and help.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, you have the connector for the vvt tensioner just hanging connected to nothing? And you have just a normal non vvt chain tensioner installed? You should have put the original engines intake cam and vvt tensioner on your swapped in older engine. Do you still have your old engine? The intake cam and tensioner should be fine, just swap them in and you should be good.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Prospeeder for the reply.

I got the car with the older atw engine already in it. I dont have any of the original engine parts or harness to swap into it. Wish I would've known how much of a pain this was gonna be before trading for the car...although I really do love it anyway.

Looks like the whole atw engine and harness was swapped in together. I had to make a narrowband-to-wideband o2 harness and add some pins to the ecu plug. While doing so I resistored out the vvt signal, since the atw harness didnt even have a connector for the vvt/cam tensioner...I had to fix ALOT of vac lines, the n112, n75, and other random things along the way. Now im just stuck with the 16396 code.

So, you're saying I can swap in a vvt cam tensioner (and wire it in of course) and intake cam, and I'll be good to go? Is there anything else needing swapped? Are the cam position sensors compatible with each cam?

Thanks again for the reply and help. My brain can finally take a break
Old 03-25-2015, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

cam sensors are the same
Old 03-31-2015, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Awesome. Very much appreciated. I've spent ALOT of hours searching online and asking my local car buddies to no avail.

Probly gonna be a bit before I get a 01 cam and VVT tensioner in it, but I'll for sure post the results when its done.

Thanks again Prospeeder for your response and time to help me. Really gave me a big relief. Until next time, take care

Nick