AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   1.8T Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/1-8t-discussion-98/)
-   -   Coil Pack Keeps Going Bad (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/1-8t-discussion-98/coil-pack-keeps-going-bad-2684042/)

HorschAudiA4 01-17-2008 10:10 AM

Coil Pack Keeps Going Bad

I have had a coil pack "go bad" three times within 4 months and 6,000 miles, on my 2004 A4 1.8T. This started happening right after the 35,000 mile service (which included a tune up). The dealer just shrugs it off ("These things happen."). I'm wondering if this might be a sign of a more serious problem with the engine (which the dealer might be trying to ignore, while the car is still under warranty). I would appreciate any advice.

Scenic Driver 01-17-2008 10:17 AM

Did they replace the spark plugs during the service?

If so maybe they are misgapped. Spark plug issues can cause misfires like a bad coil. I doubt it's a coincidence that this problem didn't exist before they touched the car.

HorschAudiA4 01-17-2008 10:21 AM

Re: Did they replace the spark plugs during the service?

yes, got new spark plugs with 35K service

Scenic Driver 01-17-2008 12:17 PM

I would replace the spark plug in the problem cylinder and also inspect the coil pack wiring harness.

Also I would consider different dealer if that is an option.

ll euroa4 ll 01-20-2008 01:29 PM

valve cover gasket may be leaking

valve cover gasket may be leaking

warrantysucks 01-21-2008 07:02 PM

the audi plugs come gapped. you don't need to gap them. It's possily that the insulation on the plug is cracked. try swapping the plug to another cylinder and see if the problem follows the plug. On the other hand, coils going out is a very very common problem and in no way indicates any other damage or issues.

Gordan T. 01-22-2008 10:32 AM

Can you please elaborate?

How would this cause coil pack failure?

Thanks...

attroquay 08-18-2008 05:13 PM

I'm adding to an old thread, but I just finished replacing a coil pack on my 02 A4-1.8T.
Engine lost power and limped along, threw a flashing CEL.
I hooked up the VAG COM and found a code for misfire on cylinder 1. I swapped the coil packs on cylinders 1 and 2 and restarted it. Now I got a misfire code from cylinder 2. Just to be sure, I swapped the coil packs on 2 and 3. Restarted and got the misfire code on cylinder 3.

Luckily carousel audi has a parts dept that is open til 9pm. Picked up two coil packs ($38 each) and replaced the bad one on cylinder 3.

Started up and drove home with no problems.

BUT....

I just changed the plugs yesterday and I wonder if there is any way that the plug service could have caused the coil to go bad. I did not change the gap (stock NGK's but not from dealer).

By the way, all four coil packs were Rev. J. The new ones from the dealer are Rev. R.

tjrmerk 11-15-2015 03:24 PM

Did anyone figure this out?
I just recently purchased a manual 2007 a4 2.0 turbo quattro.
the day I purchased it I decided to mess around a little and took of on a green light and coming up to about 6 rpm it popped supper loud under my car and then it sounded like some red neck lawn mower. Had to drive 4 hours home like that. Lol
anyway I get home find the exhaust clamp had burst and broke the rusted bolts. No worry got some u clamps which is not a good idea because they tap the car now. And a couple days after that caught me a misfire code cylinder 4. Reset went on my way. Got a set of new spark plugs, air filter oil filter and oil. Did a quick once over made sure there were no obvious reasons. Swapped #4 coil with #1 and wow im surprise it didnt blow my motor even getting to 3 rpm it would stumble beyond belief. So I got 4 new coils. And Walla problem gone! Picked up speed nicely again till this morning I was in a mood and decided to push up some dust of a gravel road and 10 miles later again its mifiring in cylinder #4 did a little looking around and have read something about the wire harness so pulled that apart inspected it and back together no problem at all still looked clean and new as though it was just put in. So now im back at reading someone else first having an exhaust problem and my exhaust still has u clamps on it and is not sealed properly. I did order the right clamp and should have it soon. Can the exhaust/ cat really mess up the coils on this car?