AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   1.8T Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/1-8t-discussion-98/)
-   -   Flashing yellow oil sensor light? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/1-8t-discussion-98/flashing-yellow-oil-sensor-light-2684195/)

Knightstick 07-17-2008 08:09 PM

Flashing yellow oil sensor light?

I got a flashing yellow light (the oil symbol with the word "sensor" next to it) come on the instrument panel today, but when I look in the owner's manual, there is nothing there telling me what that means or what to do? Am I just a quart low, or is it some lowsy sensor gone bad? I have a 02' A4 1.8T quattro. Any help is greatly appreciated

infamous107 11-03-2009 03:33 AM

Fixed wiring and replaced sensor

Originally Posted by Knightstick (Post 23283816)
I got a flashing yellow light (the oil symbol with the word "sensor" next to it) come on the instrument panel today, but when I look in the owner's manual, there is nothing there telling me what that means or what to do? Am I just a quart low, or is it some lowsy sensor gone bad? I have a 02' A4 1.8T quattro. Any help is greatly appreciated

So this has been the biggest pain in my rear for about a month. I found broken wires at the base of the sensor and thought "ok easy fix". Fixed the wiring and still the indicator on the dash shows. so then i went with replacing the sensor and still bad indicator shows. plenty of oil in the car and i have no where else to go... can anyone help on this topic PLEASE!!?!?!??!!?

fall3ndisciple 11-03-2009 03:09 PM

My mechanic warned me about this..didnt say what it was but told me to take it to the shop asap if that started happening..

infamous107 11-04-2009 08:18 AM

Well i took it to a mechanic did a oil pressure test and said everything was working within limits and didnt see anything wrong. I told him about the wiring fix that i did, he looked that over and said it was exactly what they would have done. Then he drained the oil and looked at the sensor itself, didnt see any problems there either. So before they started charging me the $1000 dollars plus, he said that i should trouble shoot the wiring all the way up to the ECU it may have something to do with a short at the cluster. I have no idea where the cluster is at... can anyone help?

infamous107 11-11-2009 08:41 AM

Always look for the easy SH!T first!!!

So after a month of troubleshooting this Yellow "oil can" sensor indicator. i change the sensor (150 bucks), wiring (10 bucks), coolant temp sensor (25 bucks), a couple vacuum lines (3 bucks),.... knowing that after all that troubleshooting it was a burnt 10amp fuse in the fuse box that i found myself thinking that a dealership would know better... priceless.

And take note that its been to two Audi dealerships…

Lesson learned, always check the small things before you start getting your hands dirty. Props to this site!!!

sulsham 02-11-2010 09:48 PM

oil sensor indicator

I'm having the same exact issue. Do you remember which fuse # was burnt?

Originally Posted by infamous107 (Post 23882200)
So after a month of troubleshooting this Yellow "oil can" sensor indicator. i change the sensor (150 bucks), wiring (10 bucks), coolant temp sensor (25 bucks), a couple vacuum lines (3 bucks),.... knowing that after all that troubleshooting it was a burnt 10amp fuse in the fuse box that i found myself thinking that a dealership would know better... priceless.

And take note that its been to two Audi dealerships…

Lesson learned, always check the small things before you start getting your hands dirty. Props to this site!!!

infamous107 02-18-2010 03:14 AM

Sul,
I dont remember exactly which fuse it was, but it had something to do with an indicator. I'll check this evening and let you know exactly which one it was. But make sure that your wires weren't chewed by some rodent. I think thats what happened to my car. Some type of animal crawled up there and shorted the wire for the sensor triggering the fuse to blow (chewed through it). But long story short, it was in the fuse box to the left of the steering column.

hlfire 04-18-2010 12:04 AM

I have the same problem but in my case, its not the fuse. It's the sensor cable ripped off.

Can someone tell me the color for the pin connector that connects the pan. There are 3 pins and I need to know the order.

infamous107 04-24-2010 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by hlfire (Post 23960866)
I have the same problem but in my case, its not the fuse. It's the sensor cable ripped off.

Can someone tell me the color for the pin connector that connects the pan. There are 3 pins and I need to know the order.

Hlfire,
the color order from front to back is as follows.
Black Red, brown in the middle, and toward the rear of the car is green and red. just changed my oil under my car and gave it a quick check. hope this helps. if you get stuck anywhere let me know. spent hours cracking this case but overall saved me at least 5 to 6 hundred bucks in troubleshooting and maintenance fees alone. since a fuse in the box was also blown and over looked.

hlfire 04-26-2010 11:03 AM

Thanks infamous107,

I'll give that a try in reconnecting it. Sounds like brown in the middle is ground.

I'll post my results.