HELP 2001 A4 1.8T 142k mi coolant ++ issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP 2001 A4 1.8T 142k mi coolant ++ issues

New here and searching through posts, but desperately neeed help:
I'm original owner and had no problems with my car until an accident in 2011(!) where a guy hit my right rear panel. Insurance decided to total my vehicle and I was POed and kept vehicle and was forced to get a salvage title.

Since then I had some electrical problems and eventually it was determined that I needed to get a new alternator and battery. Done.

I also had my check engine light on for about 5 years and it was passing smog but an O2 sensor had to be replaced this time around. Done. I have also had minor oil leaks that everyone said is normal, not bad enough to worry about. I've had all my oil changes. TB was changed early at about 70k and now I'm at 142k. I have been low on money and unable to do much more than bandage fix problems as they arise, so no major tune up has been done. That's back story that I feel is kind of related.

So NOW: I was doing two local road trips (80 miles and 140 miles round trip, to inland/hot destinations) with my daughter, so I topped off my oil (5w30 synthetic) and I noticed my coolant was below the minimum mark -it has always been darkish, but never low and I've asked multiple shops about it and they all said it was fine). I stopped in at Pep Boys and bought the computer-recommended premixed coolant. I added it and didn't have to add much.

On my way home last night, I noticed a lot of noise inside the cabin and it seemed like it could be the road traction but when I got on to next freeway, it sounded the same. Slowed down and it still was sounding loud. I got into town and was running on hope. I pulled into driveway and as I reversed down to park on street, I heard some crazy clicking/cracking/creaking noise. Only in reverse.
It was 1 am so I got my daughter to bed and fretted for an hour until I fell asleep. This morning I called my old mechanic who's usually too busy to see me said maybe it got too hot test it. I tested it out - only about 10 feet and it makes that awful noise in reverse still. I then opened up coolant reservoir and it looked like a beige mousse foam! So old mechanic (German autos only) says could be the oil cooler and oil and coolant mixing. Maybe $250 but the noise is separate. Called another mechanic (works on all types of cars) who's also busy but always makes the time for me and his first thought was head gasket (approx $1500) and he also said that I might want to just consider replacing the engine!?! Approx $2000. I laughed because as you can see from backstory, my car doesn't seem worth that, does it? Wish I had a trusted mobile mechanic...

Thanks for any suggestions- I don't want to give up my car, but I haven't been able to take as good of care over the last 5 years as before (used to wipe down my engine...well, I still do, but you get the idea.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I also realize with Father's Day this weekend, we have no usable vehicle to fit all 4 of us...