Mk1 tt overheating at idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk1 tt overheating at idle

Hey all, so i aquired the car alittle more than a month ago and the previous stated a list of repairs (timingbelt, waterpump, thermostat, turbo breathing hoses etc) but when asked had no reciepts to prove any of it. Dug into the engine alittle bit and found the original sparkplugs in it. Keep it in mind its a 2001 tt with 130,000 miles. Then had an oil leak and replaced the valve cover gasket. The past 3 days ive had an overheating issue at idle, a friend thinks its a bubble in my coolant line, i filled up the coolant last night, this morning empty, drove it maybe 7 miles before overheating warning at a red light. I have to do the timing belt soon and going the whole 9 yards replacing everything (timingbelt, tensioner, water pump, themorstat etc) Anyone have any idea of what it may be besides a bubble on my line. Thank you
Old 09-19-2015, 08:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes , they are notorious for over heating at your milage point if the car has original fans. I would put a new dual fan kit in , becuase i had the same exact issue . Also check your fuses on top of the battery and make sure they are all intact . if your going to do all that , i would upgrade the alternator also and then change the alt fuse link to 120 above the battery to handle it . I had a a cracked ceramic heat sink in my fan causing it to come on periodically or not at all. cheers !
Old 11-01-2015, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted01tt
Hey all, so i aquired the car alittle more than a month ago and the previous stated a list of repairs (timingbelt, waterpump, thermostat, turbo breathing hoses etc) but when asked had no reciepts to prove any of it. Dug into the engine alittle bit and found the original sparkplugs in it. Keep it in mind its a 2001 tt with 130,000 miles. Then had an oil leak and replaced the valve cover gasket. The past 3 days ive had an overheating issue at idle, a friend thinks its a bubble in my coolant line, i filled up the coolant last night, this morning empty, drove it maybe 7 miles before overheating warning at a red light. I have to do the timing belt soon and going the whole 9 yards replacing everything (timingbelt, tensioner, water pump, themorstat etc) Anyone have any idea of what it may be besides a bubble on my line. Thank you
If you paid for the car and were lied to about the condition, including the supposed replaced parts, I 'd sue for recourse or money back.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Boosted
Pull the green fuse on the battery cover block and make sure the pins are not corroded as this will cause poor contact. Left hand one standing in front of the car. Just did this to mine last night and thermo /engine fans are working again as is the aircon.
Cheers
Shaun
Old 09-06-2016, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I have the same problem

I think is late but Here in Miami someone told me that problem dissappear if I change the timming belt and water pump. I did and cost me around $1200. But the problem still the same. That mechanical liar son of b..... just dissappear, I when to another guy and change the fan relay and fan control unit cost me $300 more and know the radiator is leaking and the problem is even worse, should I change the fans or go to the dealer
Old 01-03-2017, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Over heating

I have changed my thermostats twice in 7months ...yesterday my Q7 dash notified me that my coolant levels was low I opened my resovoir and it was fairly low ...so I topped it up then I drove for about 10 min and the car started to over heat rapidly opened the resovior and the still full ...PLZZZZZ CAN ANYBODY EXPLAIN THIS