need help with timing

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with timing

Hi i just bought a 2003 b6 a4 1.8t with a broken timing belt
I know the car should have an awm head it has an aeb i know its the bottom end from awm was female owned and apparently they had an issue paid to have a head put on and the belt snapped so i have a low mileage awm head im getting ready to put on and i need help timing up the new head with the block does anyone have a link to a good thread or can help me anyways thanks in advance
Old 01-15-2015, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default nobody?

Nobody can at least help me get this thing tdc before i pop it on
Old 01-15-2015, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah you need to put the belt just over the crank. Then put the lower timing cover and crank pulley on, and then line its mark up with the indentation on the lower cover. Then the valve cover must be on the engine, and you put the cam mark to the mark on the cover.

The only issue with them putting an AEB head on an engine originally AWM, the intake ports in the head are larger on the AEB, so the manifold isnt matched to that size. Not a big deal but really the only difference. That and the VVT, but you can just swap the chain tensioner and intake cam from the AWM head to the AEB. If they didnt swap the cam, just the tensioner, the engine wont be quite right.

If you still dont have the head on, I would set the engine back abit from TDC so no pistons are at the very top just in case when installing the head.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 01-15-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you i found the major problem was for reasons unknown the valve cover doesnt have a mark on it from the car i pulled the awm head im about to put on once i started taking the aeb head off i noticed that that valve cover did have a mark after looking very closely
Old 11-17-2015, 09:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Bump. Full timing belt job from scratch. Head off, valve job, yay! Timing belt experts please chime in.
1.8t AWM with 220,000 miles. Reusing old cam chain and cam chain tensioner.

The problem: The notch on the intake camshaft is slightly past the aarow on the cam cap. About 1/2 tooth off

The good: my count checks out - 16 rollers on the cam chain. #1 piston is verified at TDC. Timing belt installed with no interference, everything turns freely when I hand rotate the crank

Speculation: Chain stretch, old tensioner, insufficient oil pressure to pump up the tensioner when turning by hand. One or more of these factors has produced enough slack to allow the intake cam to rotate half a tooth past its mark.

1: agree or disagree with my speculation?
2: crank with no coils and see if marks line up any better, check cam position sensor with scanner?
2a: full start up? (Do I feel lucky)
3: replace cam chain tensioner and or chain?
Old 11-18-2015, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No this is normal. If you look in the manual they show the picture exactly how you describe, one cam offset half a tooth.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the speedy reply Prospeeder.

Today I discovered the cause of the timing failure and valve damage. I am putting it back together, the #1 piston is at TDC (visual confirmation with screwdriver in the sparkplug hole) HOWEVER, when I reinstall the timing belt cover and crank pulley - those marks are not even close.

That's weird - TDC on #1 piston, but the timing marks on the pulley and timing belt cover don't line up! So it's obvious now that timing jumped down at the crankshaft sprocket. Any advice or experience you would care to share?

Last edited by Highmile; 11-18-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Help

So my timing belt went on my 02 a4 and I replaced the belt the water pump lined everything up. Still no start so I replaced fuel filter, spark plugs, CTS, CPS and it will turn over but not start then if I give it gas it will start to spudder and that's it. Anyone have an idea
Old 11-29-2015, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have bent valves, you need to pull the head and repair it or replace it.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 05 3.2 A6 that has suffered timing chain tensioner failure causing engine damage. The problem I am having is both chains and tensioners were replaced less than 10000 miles ago by Bellvue Audi in Washington state. I called them to see what could be done and they are telling me it's not their problem. So I'm wanting any advice anyone could give me. At this point I'm considering getting an attorney to help out. I don't see how the timing chains and tensioners failed within that little amount of miles. As it is now the new mechanic I am using is suggesting putting a used motor in it to save cost as opposed to rebuilding. I am gutted over this. The car only has 101000 on it and has been meticulously maintained