AAH engine throttle, some simple questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AAH engine throttle, some simple questions

I have too simple questions.... I took out an AAH engine from Audi A8. 12v 2.8l engine.

Now it is back, but some small bits are unclear for me.

Question 1:
no 9, clip on this pic. Where is it fixed to?

Question 2:

Throttle valve adapter - air intake duct connection.
There are just who guides, as marked on attached pics, but no screws from the back. There are bolts on the top, but these are not holding the duct airtight... The guide on the valve adapter is too small for the hole on the air intake duct.. I suppose, ther ewas originally a rubber insert, or so.

Does anybody has a pic about these parts af the engine?

Thank,
Attached Images   
Old 06-13-2010, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clip #9 attaches to the ribbed portion of the throttle cable casing. It determines the efffective length of the casing. This is important to get full throttle opening.

If I understand correctly, you would like pin mounting photos. There is a photo in my album, but the grommets/bushings that the metal pins fit into; are removed. The OEM rubber pieces are a pair of flanged inserts, some have used suitably sized rubber hose instead. I glued mine in place. They are for alignment, not retention of the "noise damper" (black rigid plastic air duct) to the throttle-body, but yes they are necessary to get an air-tight seal.

Cheers.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Lago!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Further reading...

You may want to also see...

<u>Noise Damper Mounting</u> (your pin/grommet issue; plus another possible fault to check for):

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...light=throttle

and:

<u>Throttle Cable Adjustment</u> (I think you can adjust your stock throttle body's cable with the procedure in para #4, note the "over-adjust" caution):

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...e+cable+adjust

Note for searchers: the last words (after highlight=) are the search terms.

Your welcome.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yesterday I have installed all these. Was ready to start....

So, after the reinstallation of the engine, no sparc, no injector opening.
No error codes.

I tought, that the camshaft sensor is bad, but it is fine.

Is there a crankshaft angle sensor somewhere?
Old 06-15-2010, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

See the G28 at 12v.org. Go to rear view of engine. It is the engine speed sensor. Do a search here using those terms. It may be your issue.

Cheers.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update:

Seems to be that the plugs are ok. If I disconnect the crankshaft sensor, error comes up with VAG, that the signal is too low...
If plugged in, no sparc and none of the injectors working. And no errors in VAG. Have checked the timing, as well, and it is fine.

Can be a fuse somewhere? I am running out of ideas...
Old 06-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ignition coil is getting 12V, so the fuse must be good.

I can think now for two things:

- damaged the engine speed sensor or crankshaft angle sensor, when I separated transmission and engine ( but ECU should trigger a fault in this case, as it is triggering, when these sensors are disconnected)
- missing ground in engine bay

Please help....
Old 06-16-2010, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently solved a similar problem for myself. After I swapped out a transmission, the engine had no spark while cranking. Since the engine does not startup, no fault codes are generated. After a frustrating week of troubleshooting, I discovered that the crankshaft position sensor wire was damaged, it got caught between the top of tranny and the block when I installed the tranny and sliced through the sensor wire. This all in a very inaccessable location that is nearly impossible to see or feel.
On my a4, on the left side of the firewall, behind the coolant reseviour are 4 wiring connectors. THe leftmost grey colored connectore is the flywheen speed sensor connection, the next (black) connector is for the crank position sensor. It looks as if both of these sensors are identical and are probably interchangeable (the crank sensor just needs 2 o-rings on it that the flywheel speed sensor does not use.) IF you pull the top off these two connectors you should be able to use a multi-meter to verify that 2 of the 3 pins are connected to eachother with less than 1 ohm reseistance and that those two are both open (completely disconnected) to the third pin wich is the shielding ground. If eithor sensors ares messed up, I think it will produce a no-spark scenario (certainly the crank postion sesnor does). After I replaced the damaged crankshaft sensor, it fired right up.
The flywheel speed sensor measures speed from the ring gear teeth. THe bracket that holds it in is adjustable via slots for the mounting bolts. Bently details a procedure requireing two specialized VAG tools to locate the crank at TDC and then accurately position the FW speed sensor relative to the teeth. Not having these tools handy, I just put the flywheen speed sensor on whereever and hoped for the best. It seems to be working OK but what are the implications of not having this sensor position perfectly adjusted as per Bently? Probably best to leave the speed sensor bracket alignment alone if you dont have a compelling reason to remove the bracket. (Sensor can be chanced without removing the bracket).
Old 06-17-2010, 01:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, I took out the speed sensor, and it is fine. When closed to metal, impedance is changing... However, during cranking VAG does not show me the RPM...
I can think now for one thing: flywheel is not installed correctly... Does the sensor reads every teeth on the flywheel? On 30v models flywheel is a bit different.

Quick Reply: AAH engine throttle, some simple questions