difference between ess and cps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difference between ess and cps?

I have a 97 a4 that wouldnt start one day. I took it to the nearest mechanics shop. They said computer read it had a bad crank sensor. Put a new one on it, still no start. Reread codes showed cam sensor was bad. Put a new one on it, still no start. Then i put a new computer on it and still nothing. Had a guy come and reset the computer and it said crank sensor was bad again. Went through 6 crank sensors before they found one that had the correct ohm reading. Still no start. Oh and engine was getting good fuel pressure. I called a professional audi service shop and the guy said to call my mechanic back and get the code its reading. They then told me the engine speed sensor was listed as not giving a signal. I asked about the crank sensor and they said it was the same part. The professional said yeah it is same thing. All this took place in a little over a 1 year span and the local shop said they give up. I towed the car back home and got a service manual from haynes. I looked up both parts, there they were on page 6-11 subtitles 9 and 10 listing them as 2 seperate parts in two locations. I found the crank sensor on the side of the block and looked on the bellhousing for the ess but i only found a hole there. I also have a running 96 a4 i got under to get the ess off it cause obviously the 97s fell out, guess what? Same empty hole! In the haynes manual it shows only a close up ess pic but not where it actually is. Also i seen the new crank sensor the shop put in so i know its not the ess they kept changing. Wherever it may be ill bet theyve never touched it. Please help! Where is the engine speed sensor?
Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It lives between the engine and transmission on the drivers side. It actually reads the teeth of the flywheel as it turns.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was there some made without ess? My 96 a4 quattro doesnt have 1 and it starts fine.