egr mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default egr mod

With the egr mod not only did i find some of my vacuum lines were on wrong (a/c evap) but the car is muccccch smoother then before.

My 96 a4 12v now has egr mod high flow muffler replacing mid muffler and magna flow 15192 (i believe) rear muffler.

I was pondering the maf screen mod, is there that much gain from this? I will also be doing the telephone wire mod and thinking of a possible cone intake (have k&n panel now).

what do you suggest for my car. A year ago i replaced head gasket and while there i cleaned out everything including icv egr and all the other faulty mechanics of a 12v with 160k (at the time) i am looking to increase the gas mileage i was getting (before egr and vacuum fix) 22mpg ish i would like to try to get at least 26. i have a lighter foot most of the time.

let me know what you think.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

your wasting your time. Little things like modding the maf screen is not going to do ****. If such easy things would gain fuel economy and power, why wouldnt the factory do it then......I would take out that K&N before you ruin your maf sensor. Most people over oil the hell out of the filters, and even if they arnt over oiled they still coat the maf element in oil film. Fact, those K&N filters let over 50% MORE dirt into the engine. All for marginal extra flow at the heavy cost of filtration. Throw that thing away, get a good quality paper filter. And just run the car. 12V's will get 24-26 properly tuned up. That means new front o2 sensors, new coolant temp sensor, new plugs, new wires, verified injectors are good and dont leak down, no dragging brakes, no bad wheel bearings, good alignment. o2 sensors slow way down over there life, the engine will only set a code for 'no response' or 'heater circuit - high resistance' so they can be next to not working and never set a code. Hope this helps! My 12v 5 speed AWD 100CS got me 25 mpg on a long trip with several spirited passes and some town driving. So it can be done.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ninety
Not going to do **** huh? Have you done it?
No because im not a retard. Maybe if you knew how an engine worked, and how engine mangament systems worked, you might actually know why it DOESNT DO ANYTHING. just like idiots who thing disabling the EGR does somthing performance wise. disable the EGR and see how much power and economy that gives you...NOTHING. the thing doesnt even DO anything but light throttle and coasting. And it displaces air at those times requiring less fuel INCREASING economy on light throttle and decel, and reducing NOX emissions. Anyway, have fun doing complelty pointless "mods" as you guys seem to call them, lol.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 95ninety

I see upwards of 28 MPG in my 12v and power in the range of 215-220HP
those kind of numbers on your 12V?? Q or FWD?

How do you come to this number? have you had your car on a dyno?
Old 01-16-2012, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
No because im not a retard. Maybe if you knew how an engine worked, and how engine mangament systems worked, you might actually know why it DOESNT DO ANYTHING. just like idiots who thing disabling the EGR does somthing performance wise. disable the EGR and see how much power and economy that gives you...NOTHING. the thing doesnt even DO anything but light throttle and coasting. And it displaces air at those times requiring less fuel INCREASING economy on light throttle and decel, and reducing NOX emissions. Anyway, have fun doing complelty pointless "mods" as you guys seem to call them, lol.
Just so you know the egr mod i talked about did infact smooth my idle out and made my car run smoother not only that on a trip up into vermont (previously got 22mpg) i got 25mpg and this all with an extra person in the car. I have changed nothing else in the car except this mod and change the a/c evap hose to exact location needed to be. I am not trying to get crazy power or gas mileage out of this motor ( i have owned a 98 subaru rs with a full sti swap and a 20g turbo) and i know it'll never be fast or get mpgs a corolla will get i am just asking what people have done and their successes since the motor has been around. We understand you know motors and there working ways but some cars do benefit from strange mods that don't benefit other cars and that is a fact. Some cars can benefit from a certain mod way more then another car due to how different the factory built the car.

So with that said people who have done things to this motor and would like to share please do we don't need any negative nancy's popping in saying "YOU CANT IT DOESNT DO ANYTHING"
Old 01-17-2012, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I betcha when you put her on a real dyno...

you notice way lower numbers.

the stock listed 170 ish HP for the 12v is not accurate, real number is much lower.

Quattro will show even lower numbers at the wheels...I have no doubt you know why, I wont belittle your intelligence.

no doubt your mods added some punch, but you should throw her on a 4 wheel dyno..I have a feeling you will be surprised