Overhaulin the ole 12v

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Beautiful work..and the metal in your oil mystery..that bottom end looks very good.

Could be some problem with the camshaft bearings in the heads? If the engine had an oil pressure problem the bearings in the head(s) will seize first it seems.

Those main bearing bolts and rod bolts are "stretch bolts" and intended to be used once and dis-guarded when rebuilt. Others may know if they can be used twice..the book say no..always replace.

Keep the pictures coming..great work!
Old 12-15-2014, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parts cleaning progress and more pics. :)

Thanks for the reply Rusty, and you nailed it when you said the oil mystery I guess I should just be grateful that these parts are all reusable. The can bearings look fantastic as well so I may never know but thats OK cause she be a brand new engine when I'm done

My table of goodies.

The engine mount and A/C compressor brackets, and thermostat housing pipe were bead blasted then given a few good coats of high temp paint. I love the way they turned out the upper and lower oil pans will be install then painted when i paint the block. Still havent decided on the color. :!

The exhaust heat sheilds were also blasted there was no other way that was gonna get that baked on oil residue of of them and theyll get a nice coat of very high temp paint along with the exhaust manifolds.

This is one head completely finished back from my friend and i must say he is a miracle worker to see it before and now this is amazing to say the least. My valves and valve guides were all still in fantastic shape, along with the cam and bearings. I bought new valve guide seals and a whole set of new hydraulic lifters. We werent sure what that old oil could have done to the insides of the previous lifters and so i just bought new ones.

The other head hasnt even been touched yet. My good friend does impecable work however his timing is terrible as in forever long time to get done. So the other head will be sent to a machine shop to get done and ill send this one as well so theyll both be resurfaced the exact same.

Intake port. Like i said he does amazing work!
Old 12-20-2014, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

btw, you should at least gasket match the intake ports on the head ;-)
Cylinder Head Workshop

Last edited by CRAZY_RUSSIAN; 12-20-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Nice link on the cylinder head work CR

Any more pictures of the rebuild?
Old 12-22-2014, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default HOLY CRAP

Just when I thought I was almost done the heads I read the head workshop by mence. Mind is officially blown. I will now be gasket matching my heads intake and exhaust. Rusty progress has been a little slow do me me breaking a piston ring upon assembly so I have pics of all but one piston installed and will post all that I have I also installed the oil pump and rear main seal carrier although I don't have a pic of the carrier installed yet.

Youll notice a couple connecting rods look cleaner i media blasted them then decided i would just solvent clean them so while while the miscoloration drives me nuts it will soon be covered by a nice shiny freshly painted oil pan.

If you have followed this build thread this is a picture of the backside of the crankshaft timing sprocket/gear that was damaged during initial disassembly. Obviously if reinstalled it would result in a timing issue for the entire engine so it will be replaced.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

how about this one? Intake Manifold Workshop :-P
also, something i like to use on all the paper gaskets is this Home http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/50...55-440-B_2.jpg
much better than that aircraft gasket stuff you get from autozone, this stuff doesn't dry up like the other crap, and performs well
Old 12-22-2014, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Gasgacinch is wonderful stuff..I used it years ago when I was in school and worked at the local Triumph motorcycle shop. It was the only thing that helped keep those Brit engines from leaking oil. CR is right. Try and find some if you can. Permatex High Tack gasket sealant #80062 works well too as a second choice..available at most FLAPS Use Gasgacinch as a first choice.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Thanks for all the advice guys.

I appreciate all the advice on this build gents. I have been wrenching for a long time now but always nice when treading in unfamiliar territory to have the seasoned pros tips and tricks. Its greatly appreciated and Ill pick up some of that gasket sealant asap for the rest of the build. Thanks again and happy holidays guys
Old 01-04-2015, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

any updates? )))
Old 01-10-2015, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

well, im slightly showing off... just finished porting the exhaust on the heads and torqued them down
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Overhaulin the ole 12v