Overhaulin the ole 12v

Old 07-26-2015, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Pretty weird...especially the cracked lifter. You have the bar for setting the camshafts? Could be some interference if the cams were out of time.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one does not belong

First of all I want to show you all the cracked lifter. I have yet to find the cause as to why this happened but as far as I can tell it's pointing to just crappy product.

As you can see it put a lot of pressure on the head just by expanding like that but I can't see any damaged caused from this.
Now for the real culprit to my problem this is a picture of three lifters all came with set of twelve I bought last year when I was gathering new parts for this build. All have imprinted the manufacturer and below that some numbers. The first set of numbers is 12 12. The second has 0312, which the other ten share 0312 numbers as well. The last one is 0512 and is a little darker. Now these came in a set all together and I saw these numbers before I installed them and figured they were date of manufacture dates or numerical sequence that I needed worry about. Well I should have worried about it. Turns out that that lifter stamped 0512 holds my valve open when it should be closed. I test this theory extensively with a smoke machine I installed a 0312 lifter and snugged down the cam filled the cylinder with smoke and no leaks then swapped with the 0512 lifter and sure enough that son of a #$$%&$ leaked. I don't know how or why I got in the set that I bought but I infuriates me to no end that I am having to pull my engine apart again to fix this.

Good news is I think ive solved it. Already have a new set of lifters that came in very nice packaging and I've already checked them with smoke machine for any leaks. I still need to buy a new head gasket and bolts so itll be a week or so. Thanks for all the input and ideas with this guys if anything I've learned valuable troubleshooting techniques and will get this baby back on the road soon. )
Old 07-31-2015, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Where did you get the correct lifters? Those old ones in your pictures are troubling..what a mess. See if you have an email about the time you bought the bum lifters which may indicate the vendor. good luck!
Old 07-31-2015, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm not sure of the brand of the new lifters but I got them on eBay from a seller called eristicgaskets they look awesome and came in like 3 days. I'll look and see I can get a vendor for the other ones but its been along time since I got them.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for posting this thread. It has been very informative.
After months of searching, I found a 12v motor yesterday. Overhauling the ole 12v baby!
Old 08-04-2015, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

now im gonna have to check what lifters i installed :-S. maybe a crappy batch
Old 08-04-2015, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Highmile
Thanks for posting this thread. It has been very informative.
After months of searching, I found a 12v motor yesterday. Overhauling the ole 12v baby!
Welcome to the club highmile. I'm glad this three has been helpful to you, and can't wait to start seeing pics from your 12v build. Not sure what you have as far as a rebuild manual goes but I used alldatadiy.com you buy a year subscription for your specific car and motor, and blamo everything you need to know to rebuild your 12v. When do you start!??
Old 08-04-2015, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CRAZY_RUSSIAN
now im gonna have to check what lifters i installed :-S. maybe a crappy batch
Hey CR I would consider checking your lifters if your gonna be doing any work on it any time soon. I pulled the other six lifters out of the pass side head today and found one more cracked lifter. Throughout this build I have bought meyle brand replacement parts which all looked high quality but these lifters have been a constant pain in my side since day one. Neither of the cylinders I pulled the cracked lifters from had bad compression or posed any sign of problems. I baffles me as to why this happened but my valves aren't too long per the dimensions specified by audi and it has always been in time. I have the cam bar, and crank locking pin for timing belt, I even checked it again right after I found my cylinder with low compression and it was dead on. I can only say at this point to stay away from meyle lifters.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The new lifters I bought are made by DNJ engine components
Old 08-04-2015, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i wonder if this was caused by the problems with your check valves.... my head is currently off, and i'm waiting for one of my high performance cams to get back from the machine shop, so ill check sometime tomorrow

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overhaulin the ole 12v