Power Steering Pump and Pulley replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump and Pulley replacement

My son just bought a 1995 90 Quattro for $1300. The car is in nice shape with no damage and 98k miles. Tranny and engine are strong. The seller informed him that the power steering pump was bad.

We ordered the pump for him and upon inspecting the car, we discovered that the pulley is missing and all the lines had been removed from the old pump.

This may be a stupid question, but what will I need to do the job (as far as the pulley replacement goes) and does anyone know where I can find a pulley and all that is needed for the installation?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So, after receiving the wrong pump TWICE, I think we are getting the correct pump tomorrow. I also managed to locate a pulley, however, I still need the bolts to connect it and am still wondering if there is any special gaskets/seals/tools that I will need to complete the job. The old pump is off and it was a pretty easy job...will the installation of the new one and pulley be as easy?

Please help! My head hurts from all the internet searches!
Old 06-09-2011, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by OPAudi
...will the installation of the new one and pulley be as easy?
Rule of thumb is that anything easy to remove is easy to put back on. Bolts should be easy too as long as you find a sample bolt that works, and get some more at the hardware store. Assuming that you have the hoses to hook up to the pump, you'll also need power steering fluid. If that steering rack has been running dry for a long time, don't be surprised if it leaks. If the steering system is completely empty, you might just fill with Prestone power steering fluid with stop-leak, instead of the expensive Pentosin. Don't run the pump unless you have purged air from the system first, or the replacement pump may be damaged.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks so much!!

I do have all the hoses and will take your advice on filling them with the stop leak first.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Steering Pump and Pulley replacement

Originally Posted by OPAudi
...I still need the bolts to connect it and am still wondering if there is any special gaskets/seals/tools that I will need to complete the job....
When reinstalling the pump outlet 'banjo' fitting and the suction hose fitting, it is always a good practice to replace the crush washers with new ones. You can use either aluminium or copper to reduce the possibility of any leaks.

Both fittings usually require a 22mm socket.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank goodness for cardone.com!! The power steering pump came in and it was nice to see that it was the correct one. The fun of replacing it, flushing the system and praying nothing leaks begins tomorrow.

Thanks for the info.

Don't be surprised if I'm back to ask more stupid questions at a later date.