stripped head bolt

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped head bolt

replacing a cylinder head and doing a head gasket change on both sides, but...
i got through 15 head bolts without a problem and ofcourse one bugger stripped on me. hammered a hex into it and no go. looking for some more ideas. wondering if anybody has used the extractor on a head bolt and if it worked considering how tight these buggers are torqued. thinking also about drilling the head off and vise gripping the rest when the cylinder head is pulled. cylinder head on that side is getting tossed so im not worried about damaging it. any thoughts or input?
Old 05-29-2011, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re : stripped head bolt...

here's some previous discussions with some ideas:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...pped+head+bolt

This is on a drive-shaft triple-square where he gripped the outside of the bolt with a socket, you may not have room, thin-wall socket maybe or would it just split?:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=10

good luck
Old 05-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks lago. i saw that first thread but didn't catch that second thread anywhere. i thought about that socket method actually but its good to see some reinforcement on the subject. i'm going to check it out tonight and see if there's enough clearance and if not i might have to run over to get a slimmy. id rather split a slimmy before damaging the bolt beyond recognition. thanks again for the input. its much appreciated.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had two bolt heads get stripped on my 12v. Mine use the 6-point grooved tool. I also tried hammering the tool in, which works on minor "top" stripping, not on major stripping. So, I ground down the bolt heads. Went through eight grinder bits, three hardened drill bits, and one overheated Dremel (when I tried cutting the heads off). Total cost including new drill, extension bit holder and rented heavy duty drill was $130. But I got the buggers loose! You won't need a vise grip after you grind down the bolt heads; they'll unscrew with finger pressure, after you lift off the head.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the input 3a4s

I didn't feel like there was enough room for a slimmy and didn't feel like dealing with going to buy one and then returning it. So what I did is I pulled out my drill and a drill bit that matched up with the width on the threaded part of the bolt. Grabbed a rag to cover the holes in the cylinder head and the vacuum. I drilled down through the head of the bolt far enough where I just punched the head of the bolt off with a screwdriver and hammer. Vacuumed up the shavings and pulled the head off and unscrewed the rest of the bolt out. Then I drank my beer in victory.