Unburned fuel in exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unburned fuel in exhaust?

Hey guys, I hope you can help me with a problem I'm having.

I recently bought a used 1997/1998 A6 Quattro wagon with the 12 valve AFC engine in it. I've put a lot of time and effort into repairs. New head gaskets, EGR valve. O2 sensors, starter, water pump, timing belt, etc etc.

Anyway, there is one last problem that I can't seem to figure out. When I start the engine I start to get some white smoke out of the exhaust. I think it might be unburned fuel.

Now I know what you are thinking, head gasket leak right? The problem is that it's not consuming a drop of coolant! (I replaced the expansion tank so it's easy to see, and yes, I used the pink G12 coolant)

Anothe clue is that if I drive it around a little it seems to stop. I thought it might be unburned fuel as a result of a leaky fuel injector so I replaced those as well (They needed it after 186k miles)

It seems like it might be something to do with the computer controlling the rich/lean mixture (I only replaced the two O2 sensors in the exhaust manifolds and not the ones after the cat)

Any ideas? could it be the fuel pressure regulator? One of the few parts I did not replace were the Kombi (secondary air injection) valves. Could it be this? I cleaned the EGR passage in the intake manifold well when it was apart (man was it clogged!!)

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Matt
Old 04-07-2013, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a like problem, replaced with upgraded 4 nozel injectors and had a bunch of white smoke coming out. Pulled all the plugs, checked wires (one was bad) and found on the number 3 cylinder that a crush washer from the spark plug was off to the side and allowing more air to come thru. Imagine two crush washers laid ontop of each other to look like a figure eight, the overlap is what i was dealing with. Still blowing white smoke, so i went thru the vacume system and all checks out, looking for answers, i will share what i find.

History on the car? Its a 95 audi avant, I have owned it since 97. Love this thing. ( i wasnt really going to give a huge history)

I am interested to know if you have found answers to your white smoke issue.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think what your seeing is water vapor. Water tends to build up in the exhaust system. Find a really steep hill to drive up and do a couple trips up it wide open. You'll see the water on the pavement first trip most likely.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Un-burned fuel is black, oil is blue. Moisture as in coolant or water comes off as white (Steam). If it stops after a while it sounds like its just moisture coming out from your exhaust.