2007 TFSI 2.0T Audi - Cylinder 1&3 Pressure Test

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 09:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 TFSI 2.0T Audi - Cylinder 1&3 Pressure Test

Hi Everyone!
I've got a new to me project car Audi 2007 BWT 2.0T with 90k miles on the clock. No worries as I got it really cheep. I could use some wisdom from the audiworld forums.
  • Timing marks at the crank and at the valve cam look fine.
  • Both cams are rotating when the engine is running (if you can call it that)
  • VCDS shows constant misfires on cylinders 1&3. The count is quite entertaining to see increase as it idles along, in a very sadistic way.
  • It has very low to no cylinder pressure on 1&3, even with a wet test. Looking at the pistons, both look very clean compared to 2&4. My theory is it has had a head gasket problem for a while.
  • I just did a pressure test on both 1&3 with each at TDC. Held no pressure. No air coming from the intake side and nothing coming out of the tail pipes, but air coming out of the other bad cylinder.
Thought 1: Head gasket - pull head and replace and let her ride!
Thought 2: Hidden valve problem - pull head and test valves
Though 3: (This one is scary) Piston rings are shat. Find a rebuilt or used engine and plug and play.

I'd love to hear what your thoughts are!

-JimmyChee
Old 05-11-2017, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Cylinder 1 and 3 pressure test.

Hi there, I maybe old fashioned but have you used a compression tester to test each cylinder independently wet and dry as this way you will get a better scope of what you are dealing with, I would probably go for valve problem but if your going to remove head I suggest you remove valves and check and give ports a good clean, also check each cylinder bore for scoring and polishing. Just a thought.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lloydieb8
Hi there, I maybe old fashioned but have you used a compression tester to test each cylinder independently wet and dry as this way you will get a better scope of what you are dealing with, I would probably go for valve problem but if your going to remove head I suggest you remove valves and check and give ports a good clean, also check each cylinder bore for scoring and polishing. Just a thought.
An update! Two bad valves on the exhaust. $700 head job and a cold winters labor. And it back on the road!
Old 05-11-2017, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Smile Cylinder 1 and 3 pressure test.

Glad to hear that, did you decoke the ports etc..., I'm about to start on my 2005 a4 Avant 2.0 tfsi, looking at getting a ported head and new cams as inlet cam is failing, still using the rattle box at the moment just trying to get funds together, looks like its going to cost around £1500 including everything to go with it. All the best and enjoy your drive dude.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes! There was a local shop that baked the head, replaced some items with wear and it came out looking very clean. I'd advise doing a new cam chain and gaskets while your in there. My miss was not replacing the part where the coolent hose attaches to the back of the head. Leaks a bit here and there but it is fine for now. Some have noted that I could have pulled the pistons and done a ring job, but I was way over my head as it was a DIY job.
​​​

Last edited by JimmyChee; 05-15-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Couple things to know about these 2.0's. Oil pumps a prone to failure and the first thing that fails with it are the bearing races for the camshafts. The other weak area is the high pressure fuel pump cam follower. I'd recommend changing the follower with every other oil change. Good luck with the project car!