2010 Audi A5 starting/idling issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 07:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2010 Audi A5 starting/idling issues

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2010 Audi A5 with approx. 65k miles on it. I have been having some issues with it and been in and out of the garage these last weeks.

When I took it for its first drive it was driving perfectly fine. I was driving city speed (not exceeding 35 miles p/h) and only did small distances. The next day I went full throttle a few times on a straight long road. When I parked the car at my destination I realized that the car was trembling/shaking a bit. When I started the car to go to my next destination it had difficulty starting. The engine/started clicked many times and eventually it would start roughly. When driving it after this start it would respond very delayed and abrupt. I parked the car at my second destination and didn't touch it anymore until the next morning.

The next morning I started it and it worked fine again. I drove off to my destination and the car seemed to respond fine. I took this chance to drive directly to the garage to get it checked out. The garage cleaned the fuel injectors and at the end of the day I tried it for a second time. When driving slowly the car would respond perfect. However, when taking it full throttle on a straight road again it would have the same issue as indicated above - slow and abrupt response, trembling, and difficulty starting (sometimes it would make a sound from the back with slight white or black smoke coming out). Brought it to the garage again.

The second time at the garage, they changed the oil separator. The dealer/mechanic said that the car would respond fine on their test drive, so just to make sure I asked them to take it out full speed again a few times and press the gas peddle as if they were on the high ways. They said that the car would tremble very slightly when standing still, however not as before. Similarly, the car would start normal after driving fast on straight roads a few times (although the car would start directly, it did seem that it would have a slight difficulty in starting). I took it out on the road again after this 2nd time at the mechanic and just to make sure the issue was resolved I took it out to the straight roads and drove highway speeds with quick acceleration. When standing still and shutting off and turning on the car the car would start (whereas previously it would stutter and I would have to try 3 to 4 times before the car would start again). It seemed that the oil separator made the difference/caused the issue. However, at night I took out the car again, and the same issue occurred. Car had extreme difficulty starting, when driving in reverse it would shut off, the car trembled, etc. I drove the car back to the garage this morning.

Did anybody else have this issue/knows what this issue may be? I appreciate your help.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone? Please help!
Old 12-01-2018, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Seems like your timeing chain might be off time