NJ: Audi 2.0T OIL CONSUMPTION ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev Ross
Hi All, bought my a4 2.0 TFSI from car giant last May (2014) having to top up with a litre of oil every 2 weeks. Rang up car giant warranty booked it into garage and they said it's an oil consumption problem and to ring Audi. Rang Audi earliest appointment is 16th November. Just been told because my car just started struggerling etc that the pistons are about to go. Dreaded question anyone know how much that going cost as Audi will look at oil consumption for free but I will probably have to pay for repairs. I have no idea about cars to be honest so helping someone can help with advice etc.
Audi will pay for the pistons and rings and diagnostic tests. Warranty is extended to 8 years and 80,000 miles. But you'll only get the repair done once and you can't have had it repaired or attempted to diagnose and passed before.

Read the other thread on this. But it's a 2 step process. It will cost you nothing and a good dealer will often get you a loaner.

Otherwise, the repair is something like $4000 if I remember correctly from the warranty paperwork. It's a solid 20 hours of labor and $800 in parts I think.

Depending on your mileage, you might consider getting the timing belt, serpentine and water pump replaced while it's out. Labor should be free or minimal. It will otherwise cost $400+ just to access the timing belt or water pump individually.
The following users liked this post:
RavAudi4 (10-21-2020)
Old 12-14-2015, 05:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a 2014 A4 Premium Plus with 17k on the odometer. After just a couple hundred miles, I see the oil is down about 1/4. So I can assume the consumption issue is still in the 2014's? I thought it was addressed after the 2012 my.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Need some advise... I have a Audi 2011 5Q 2.0T. I had to have the oil consumption done at 40,000 miles because of the use of oil. Was told they changed the oil separator with the updated one and if I had any other problems bring it back. It stayed the same with oil usage but now it has 81,000 miles and the low oil pressure light came on with the engine light so I brought it in for another oil consumption test because of the lights and for it using more oil than fuel. Was told the oil separator was bad and needed to replaced with the updated one. I was charged $140 dollars plus labor total $256 with taxes. I wasn't charged the first time but was told the 2nd one was on me. Does anyone out their know if that is correct. I feel if they updated the last update that means it still had a problem and shouldn't had been charged. Any info would be helpful.... Thanks.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racemomma24
Need some advise... I have a Audi 2011 5Q 2.0T. I had to have the oil consumption done at 40,000 miles because of the use of oil. Was told they changed the oil separator with the updated one and if I had any other problems bring it back. It stayed the same with oil usage but now it has 81,000 miles and the low oil pressure light came on with the engine light so I brought it in for another oil consumption test because of the lights and for it using more oil than fuel. Was told the oil separator was bad and needed to replaced with the updated one. I was charged $140 dollars plus labor total $256 with taxes. I wasn't charged the first time but was told the 2nd one was on me. Does anyone out their know if that is correct. I feel if they updated the last update that means it still had a problem and shouldn't had been charged. Any info would be helpful.... Thanks.
If they installed a bad oil separator I don't think you should be on the hook for it. You should call Audi of America and complain. Also, is there another Audi dealer in your area? Might be worth taking it to a different shop.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gstrouse
I just purchased a 2014 A4 Premium Plus with 17k on the odometer. After just a couple hundred miles, I see the oil is down about 1/4. So I can assume the consumption issue is still in the 2014's? I thought it was addressed after the 2012 my.
I just got a 2013 allroad, and confirmed with my helpful SA that most OC problems are 2011, and few 2012, explaining that I shouldn't worry.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I add 2-cycle oil to my gas at 500:1 It's one approach to oil consumption not yet discussed.

TCW-3 spec makes it ashless, it's a great top oil, fuel treatment against alcohol, stabilizer, etc..

I buy it by the gallon at W*M, it's like $.20c to treat 10 gallons of gas with 3oz, so yeah...I use it. Recommend adding a lot extra for the first treatment to coat the fuel system.

You guys trust me, right?

Piston soak with a mix of light oil and solvent poured into the sparkplug holes can clean and free stuck rings. Crank it and let sit overnight. Follow up with an intake cleaning.
The following users liked this post:
RavAudi4 (10-21-2020)
Old 03-13-2017, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default "High Mileage Compression Repair (with ring seal)"

Hey
can you upload photo of the product?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed piston rings on my 2007 audi a4 and that fixed oil consumption issue. It was consuming 1 quart every 1000km or 600 miles roughly.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Kjack
I had the exact same problem and it turned out to be a cracked valve cover. A hairline crack was causing oil to leak into my turbo. It's a fairly common issue, I guess the plastic gives out after a while. My car has 58k miles on it. No more smoke or oil consumption issues for me since replacing the valve cover. Also be sure to check your intercooler line for oil! Odds are it's collecting there.
I have tried everything except the Valve Cover, I am buying a new one and I hope this is the fix for the loss of power and smoke accelerrating up hills with white smoke. I did notice the bolts holding the valve cover in place are saturated in oil so now I know I have a leak. I love this forum because I have found so many fixes for other issues I have had in the past! Thank you for sharing!
Old 06-14-2017, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Angry Hell Car in Germany

Stationed overseas we just bought a 2009 Audi that appeared to be in mint shape. Person we bought it from said the car was great but that every few hundred miles you'd have to top off oil. What he didn't say was that in reality, every. single. day. this car is drinking a half liter of oil or more. i'm reading here some of your fixes and things. We paid $11k for this car and now it's looking like it'll cost us more.
Is it worth even going down the road of fixing things? Honestly, if we have to pour more money in this I would almost rather us trade it into a dealer and cut our losses and move on.

Quick Reply: NJ: Audi 2.0T OIL CONSUMPTION ?