NJ: Audi 2.0T OIL CONSUMPTION ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see there has been quite a few ppl who have been through this Oil consumption issue. I need guidance on what steps i should take next. I purchased my 2009 A4 B8 2.0T June 07 18 with 78,897 miles, The oil light came on the very next day. I notified the dealership i bought it from and they topped it off. I thought this was odd so i took my car to an Audi dealership to do a multi point inspection, oil change etc due to the oil light coming on. 2 weeks later mileage at 79,488. Nothing was said about the bulletin and the 8 year/80000 mile extension. The light came on again so i took it back to the dealership and they said, "this is normal" and sent me on my way. the light returned so thats when i did research and found out this was a issue for A4's. I contact Audi Customer Service and they acknowledge that this indeed was an issue and set me up with the dealership to start the oil consumption steps. Mileage at time was 80,272. The dealership performs phase 1, 967 miles later the light popped back on, i call the dealership and they tell me to bring it in. They give me a loaner and claim they performed phase 2. 3 days later they call me and say my car is ready. When someone says your car is ready you assume that means its fixed, right? 500 miles later the light pops back on and i return to the dealership and thats when i found out they didnt fix anything. they told me i needed pistons and rings, i asked why was i notified of this last visit, cause to my knowledge changing pistons and rings IS phase 2! So what did you do i asked, they ran the oil consumption test, seen my mileage and said i was no longer covered, topped my car off and sent me on my way smh. I notified corporate about what was going on and they also said i was past warranty! I explained everything and they said they would get back to me. What was said is im past warranty and nothing could be done. What should I do? My car was below 80,000 when the process was started I just want my vehicle fixed or Ima have to eat thousands of dollars.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey man, I own a 2010 Audi S4 (B8). I am having the same issue, you had with your car. I am burning 1 qrt every 150 miles. I did major work with separator, hoses, valves, and gasket changed, and now my mechanic is telling me I have to **** away 7-8K more for pistons to be changed. Which high mileage compression repair did you use? Can you please recommend anything here. Hopefully, this is can help me solve my issue as well.

Direct email:
nikit831@yahoo.com
Old 03-04-2019, 04:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Fix Audi A5 2 litre TFSI

Originally Posted by Nikit Patel
Hey man, I own a 2010 Audi S4 (B8). I am having the same issue, you had with your car. I am burning 1 qrt every 150 miles. I did major work with separator, hoses, valves, and gasket changed, and now my mechanic is telling me I have to **** away 7-8K more for pistons to be changed. Which high mileage compression repair did you use? Can you please recommend anything here. Hopefully, this is can help me solve my issue as well.

Direct email:
nikit831@yahoo.com
Nikit
Hard luck. I had this problem twice and the only thing which initially seemed to fix it was replacement pistons back in 2010. Unfortunately the car started using oil again about one and a half years ago. Audi uk refused to fix it for a second time but the dealer who I am friendly with argued my case.as mine was one of the first one's done and the replacement pistons had been
amended in some fashion since then. Audi footed the bill eventually.
The above was done in December 2017 and , unlike the first fix, over the next 9k miles the car
had used virtually no oil. I am fairly convinced that the car is actually fixed (after 7 years!). Having bought it from new.
Piston replacement is the only thing that I think will work and costs approx £4500 if the dealer does it. Nevertheless, if you can track down an indepedant garage they may be able to do it for around £1500.
You have my sympathy but on a positive note if you get the engine fixed you should recover the money easily in furture use and resale value.
Very best of luck. I will be interested to hear how you get on.
Trevor

Old 03-13-2019, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I own a 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T. I bought the car used at 30,000 miles. The vehicle now has 92,000+ miles on it. I was recently made aware of the oil consumption issue. The entire time I have owned the car, Audi has told me that it was normal for the vehicle to burn oil, so I never questioned it. Now, I am adding 1 qt of Castrol SAE 5W40 to the vehicle every 430 miles or so. After learning about the oil consumption issue, I called Audi of America, as recommended by a local shop. I told them about my issues, so they sent me to a local dealership to get the oil consumption test. $90 for part 1. After driving about 430 miles, my oil light came back on, so I went back in for part 2 of the consumption test. I failed the consumption test and the recommendation was given for new pistons and rings. Apparently Audi no longer considers themselves liable for oil consumption issues after 80,000 miles, so they said they would only cover 20% of the total repair costs, which amounted to some ungodly number like $6,500. Despite my verbal disappointment with Audi of America, they persisted and REFUSED to cover the fix.

Has anyone else had this experience? I find it pretty ridiculous that an inherent defect with the vehicle is not being covered by Audi. It's very unfortunate that I did not learn about this issue until the vehicle was out of the "parameters" for the fix... very convenient for Audi! I've been reading up on these forums but not sure I've come across anyone with my situation. The OP mentioned adding some high mileage compression repair (with ring seal) oil. Has anyone tried this with success? Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

I love my A4, but this whole experience has left a very salty taste in my mouth and based on the customer service I've experienced, I probably won't ever own another one. Any help is greatly appreciated.

bflickinger13@gmail.com
Old 03-30-2019, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My 2012 Audi A5 cabriolet that I purchased November 2011 brand new is consuming oil between 600-700 miles. The dealer has topped it off twice in a 45 day period. I just read the article about the Audi oil consumption lawsuit in 2014. It appears my car is one of the 2.0 engines with this fault. The options for repair are outrageous upwards of $12K if a new engine is needed due to damage. While I noted that Audi extended the manufacturer warranty to 8 years or 80k miles, I’ve had my car 7 years but I’m past the mileage by 25,000. Dealer has started the oil consumption test but I’d like to know if there’s anyone out here that was able to get the repair at no cost.. thanks
Old 04-01-2019, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Follow up on

Reading your post on the oil consumption fix, was it successfull for a long time, do you have an update on running the engine restore with ring seal stuff ?

Originally Posted by c6vetteman
I found a simple inexpensive fix (if you can call it that) for oil consumption issues on the 2.0t
Next time you need to add oil to your car add a bottle of "High Mileage Compression Repair (with ring seal)" to your oil. ($8) It took about a 200 miles of driving for it to start working but...my car no longer uses any oil!!!
Backstory.....I bought this 07 audi quattro 2.0t with 100k miles. And after a week found out that it uses 1 qt of oil every 300-400 miles or every tank of gas. I was really mad at myself for getting rid of a perfect running jetta VR6 for this crap. I Spent alot of time and money trying to fix this problem, all the fixes that are supposed to try and help including a new valve cover ($400!) didnt work.
I couldnt hardly even climb a hill without the car falling on its face and blowing smoke, like an escaping octopus.
I have already sunk $5k into this car that I just paid 10 grand for. Doing tires, brakes, timing belt, and a bunch of melted heater hose piping on the backside of the engine. So I did a bunch of research and with some engine knowledge of my own I knew the only real way to fix this was to basically rebuild the engine and add new piston rings. I WAS NOT GOING TO DO THAT!!
I just got done building an LS2 motor for my Corvette because of some bad parts...
So with some desperation I was willing to try some snake oil....AND IT WORKS!!!! havent burned a drop of oil all summer, and it has been hot here. I can climb hills again too. So for alot of you out there with this same problem that dont have a warranty and dont want a car to consume the way you live, try this fix and please let me know if this works for anyone else.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Flickinger
Despite my verbal disappointment with Audi of America, they persisted and REFUSED to cover the fix.

Has anyone else had this experience? I find it pretty ridiculous that an inherent defect with the vehicle is not being covered by Audi.
Welcome to Audi. "If you can't afford our problems, you don't deserve an Audi".
Old 04-16-2019, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Oil consumption

Originally Posted by Kev Ross
Hi All, bought my a4 2.0 TFSI from car giant last May (2014) having to top up with a litre of oil every 2 weeks. Rang up car giant warranty booked it into garage and they said it's an oil consumption problem and to ring Audi. Rang Audi earliest appointment is 16th November. Just been told because my car just started struggerling etc that the pistons are about to go. Dreaded question anyone know how much that going cost as Audi will look at oil consumption for free but I will probably have to pay for repairs. I have no idea about cars to be honest so helping someone can help with advice etc.
So my 2011 6spd Audi A4 with 144k on the clock burns a quart of oil every 35-85 miles depending on how I drive it. I am passed warranty and am wondering how much a dealership, or local shop would charge to rebuild or replace the engine.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just had my pistons replaced. I bought the parts myself and had my local Audi mechanic perform the service. I was able to get it all done for $4000.00. I could have had him change the engine for about the same money. If you take it to an Audi dealer your going to pay between $4000 and $4600 for the piston job.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Our 2007 was dumping oil in the intercooler pipe, getting progressively worse. And would puff blue smoke under heavy load like hill climb.

I replaced the pcv and valve cover, but no love.

Next, I pulled the turbo thinking I would try to install a rebuild kit but found the turbo was cracked and the end of the center compressor was deteriorated seriously.

I replaced the turbo with a new Made in China Borg warner for $800 which fixed the issues.

Quick Reply: NJ: Audi 2.0T OIL CONSUMPTION ?