AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   2.0T FSI Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/2-0t-fsi-discussion-111/)
-   -   NJ: Audi 2.0T OIL CONSUMPTION ? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/2-0t-fsi-discussion-111/nj-audi-2-0t-oil-consumption-2888781/)

c6vetteman 09-07-2015 08:29 PM

NJ: Audi 2.0T OIL CONSUMPTION ?

I found a simple inexpensive fix (if you can call it that) for oil consumption issues on the 2.0t
Next time you need to add oil to your car add a bottle of "High Mileage Compression Repair (with ring seal)" to your oil. ($8) It took about a 200 miles of driving for it to start working but...my car no longer uses any oil!!!
Backstory.....I bought this 07 audi quattro 2.0t with 100k miles. And after a week found out that it uses 1 qt of oil every 300-400 miles or every tank of gas. I was really mad at myself for getting rid of a perfect running jetta VR6 for this crap. I Spent alot of time and money trying to fix this problem, all the fixes that are supposed to try and help including a new valve cover ($400!) didnt work.
I couldnt hardly even climb a hill without the car falling on its face and blowing smoke, like an escaping octopus.
I have already sunk $5k into this car that I just paid 10 grand for. Doing tires, brakes, timing belt, and a bunch of melted heater hose piping on the backside of the engine. So I did a bunch of research and with some engine knowledge of my own I knew the only real way to fix this was to basically rebuild the engine and add new piston rings. I WAS NOT GOING TO DO THAT!!
I just got done building an LS2 motor for my Corvette because of some bad parts...
So with some desperation I was willing to try some snake oil....AND IT WORKS!!!! havent burned a drop of oil all summer, and it has been hot here. I can climb hills again too. So for alot of you out there with this same problem that dont have a warranty and dont want a car to consume the way you live, try this fix and please let me know if this works for anyone else.

motoguy128 09-28-2015 01:00 PM

Meanwhile Audi is extending the warranty to 8 years and seems to be allowing vehicles over 80k miles. So you might still be able to get it rebuilt.... but it has to fail the test.

As bad as your is, you might have even gotten a new motor, and while it's out, the labor to change the water pump, drive belt and timing belt is pretty much free.

Audialvin 10-15-2015 01:09 PM

I have the same smoke problem when climbing hills or entering the e way. Had the turbo replaced and PCV valve ($2700) but The problem is still there... I consume about a qt every 600 miles. Just don't want the mechanics to keep throwing darts in the dark to try to fix this problem. My 06 Audi A4 just rolled over the 60k. What brand did you use? Will it fix the smoke in hills? How is your car doing?

motoguy128 10-20-2015 06:48 AM

Got my wife's car back and drove it last night. WOW! Like a new drive train. Idles smoother shifts a LOT smoother in all gears, no cloud of smoke, much more linear feel with less lag.

I'll keep track, but I suspect the issue is gone. I'll probably see a mileage improvement over where i was at, but supposedly it's a slight reduction over new.

As a sidenote, I had the dealer I purchased it from used give us a loaner for almost 4 weeks while it was being repaired. It's was a Chevy Equinox. Think Q5, but slightly bigger, cheap interior, no turbocharger (yes THAT WEAK) same mileage, no steering feel, handling, and a harsher ride.... and TONS or wind and road noise. You could barely have a conversation. the NVH, handling and refinement is way behind my '08 CR-V. I can see why the Honda sold so well, it's hands down superior, even if it's just as slow, it's felt smaller, but had more useable space (more than the Q5 too) and the engine sounded nice when pressed. Actually the Hona 2.4L sounds a lot better than that Q5... but there's enough sound deadening to help that out at least.

motoguy128 10-20-2015 06:50 AM

.... the comparison of the ZF 8 speed in the Q5 to the 9 Speed in the Jeep Cherokee.... it's laughable. The tranmission in the Cherokee, at times works great and other times is the worst transmission I've ever driven other than work out POS Ford Windstar or Chrysler Mininvan. Shocking the same company made both transmissions. I suspect the MFG programs it and that's where the problem is.

Hobbes03 10-20-2015 08:38 PM

So I bought my A4 from CarMax over a yr ago and just now started to notice the oil consumption. I did mention it to the service tech and he told me it was the turbo that burns a lot of it and it was normal. Of course I didn't believe him but kept adding when it needed. This last time I added oil, my engine light came on. Great, another problem. So I took it to Autozone to get a reading and it diagnose a valve leak, MAF leak or oxygen sensor on the driver side that is bad. After the reading, the light went away but came back the next day.

However, as I am driving it, I do not notice any noises, oil leaks, loss of power, smoke or anything to that nature. Drives completely smooth. Now my question..... would the oil additive you mention help fix the problem and prevent me to possibly fight with the service techs in case they do not assist?

As far as the engine light, I was told that I might need to clean out the MAF and/replace the sensor. I know a little about engines but not enough make major repairs on my own. Opinions are welcomed!!

Kjack 10-21-2015 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Audialvin (Post 24732818)
I have the same smoke problem when climbing hills or entering the e way. Had the turbo replaced and PCV valve ($2700) but The problem is still there...

I had the exact same problem and it turned out to be a cracked valve cover. A hairline crack was causing oil to leak into my turbo. It's a fairly common issue, I guess the plastic gives out after a while. My car has 58k miles on it. No more smoke or oil consumption issues for me since replacing the valve cover. Also be sure to check your intercooler line for oil! Odds are it's collecting there.

bearball 10-27-2015 12:45 AM

2012-A-4 2.0T oil consumption

Originally Posted by Kjack (Post 24734531)
I had the exact same problem and it turned out to be a cracked valve cover. A hairline crack was causing oil to leak into my turbo. It's a fairly common issue, I guess the plastic gives out after a while. My car has 58k miles on it. No more smoke or oil consumption issues for me since replacing the valve cover. Also be sure to check your inter-cooler line for oil! Odds are it's collecting there.

Thanks to All for the information! I purchased my 2012 A-4 with 38k in August. I have been checking the oil level and am finding that my oil level is half way between max and low. I have put 2k miles on the car since August. The car for the most part runs beautifully!! Averaging 20 mpg in city and 30 mpg on my long trips. Of course, when I purchased the vehicle and questioned the salesman he told me the issues with oil consumption have been resolved. So maybe it could be a cracked valve cover or something minor. I am sure they will not go all out and replace pistons and seals!

I did purchase the extended warranty so I guess I should be visiting the dealer with the oil usage.

Kev Ross 10-27-2015 08:58 AM

Pistons and oil consumption

Hi All, bought my a4 2.0 TFSI from car giant last May (2014) having to top up with a litre of oil every 2 weeks. Rang up car giant warranty booked it into garage and they said it's an oil consumption problem and to ring Audi. Rang Audi earliest appointment is 16th November. Just been told because my car just started struggerling etc that the pistons are about to go. Dreaded question anyone know how much that going cost as Audi will look at oil consumption for free but I will probably have to pay for repairs. I have no idea about cars to be honest so helping someone can help with advice etc.

Audi Junkie 12-10-2015 08:24 PM

Ideal not to try to keep the oil topped to the MAX. A full or overfull crankcase will increase the oil mist being circulated thru PCV and air/oil separator. Best to be off the full mark a bit. I do this in my 3.2s, although they don't burn oil and take 7.5 quarts