Failed seal in new Turbo leading to Failed Cam on Cylinder Head?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed seal in new Turbo leading to Failed Cam on Cylinder Head?

Hi Everyone, I did search around a little to see if there was something similar, but nothing in the first initial pages of this room. As with most people, we reach out to specific forums when of course we run into a problem. So here is my story, and looking for opinions/comments from others that are more knowledgeable. Last time I worked on a car was my 79 olds cutless supreme, so basically just drive cars since then.

Check engine light went out on a 2007 Audi A4 Quatro 2.0. My son brought it in to dealer, they said most likely the cam on the hpfp has a problem and needs to be replaced. They of course quoted some "dealer" prices, so we brought it to a local mechanic that had many recommendations from the students in that area. After additional diagnostic, they indicated, it was not the cam on the hpfp, but the cam on the cylinder head that has the problem. Was quoted prices for a used and new cam as well as a new engine.

We opted for the new engine with 12mo/12k warranty, vs, a new or used cam, as (at least based on the prices we were given by mechanic and dealer), that would be the better long term solution.

After moving forward with the work, the mechanic says that it looks like the cause of the failure was due to the seal on the turbo failing, thus allowing oil into the turbo, they also found oil in the intercooler lines. Low and behold, about 12 months ago, the turbo failed, and a dealer close to home replaced it with a new one. My son did say he noticed he had to put more oil than usual into the engine over the last year as well.

I guess my question is, does that sound plausible and what might I need to do to have recourse against the dealer. The mechanic said they would research this a little to see what recourse, as well I am searching around. They will also write up the diagnostic ticket according to show what they found. They plan on saving the turbo for me and not sending it back with the replacement engine core. So looking for some insight into this. Appreciate all the feedback.