2007 Audi A4 Turbo Replacement Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Audi A4 Turbo Replacement Problem

so I'm posting here to see if someone's got a good idea here or dealt with the same problem. I got an A4 with a bad turbo and am in the process of swapping it out. I finally got it out, unboxed my new one and found that the opening where the cat bolts against on the original had fully threaded studs screwed into it and got new one just has empty threaded holes. The manifold gets in the way of one of the openings for me to just use regular bolts and nuts. Anyone got a replacement like this? What did you do? I plan to go stop at abhardware store and see if they have any studs that match these to put on the new one. any help is greatly appreciated!!

Old 05-11-2017, 05:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went to Audi to buy some recently. 06f-103-397 at 3.80 each.

Additionally the exhaust studs were n-014-555-5 and nuts n-908-946-01

This was for a 2007 A4 bwt engine.

Cross check to be sure!
Old 05-11-2017, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Where did you get your turbo from? It's shiny shiny!

I've got three studs if you need them btw... Live in utah
Old 05-11-2017, 07:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JimmyChee
Where did you get your turbo from? It's shiny shiny!

I've got three studs if you need them btw... Live in utah
hey Jimmy thanks so much for those part #'s!! What I ended up doing was buying 4 10x1.5 bolts and will be screwing them in from the cat side over into the threads for the turbo. If that fails I'll certainly use those parts! I got my turbo off eBay from here (https://www.ebay.com/itm/201452310537). Cheap, free shipping, they gave the gaskets as well however they forgot those exhaust studs. I'm working with them to help fix that issue though they seem to be very helpful and responsive so far. All in all I'm happy with it, haven't confirmed it works but I am going to test this weekend!
Old 05-12-2017, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It may be possible to salvage the studs off of your existing turbo. Just get two nuts that fit the threads. Use one nut as a lock and the other to remove the stud. It might be best to buy new ones but if you are in a pinch it it's worth a try.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bet the bolts would work. How do you like the turbo and does it seem like an OEM part?
Old 05-12-2017, 04:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by WolfAutoParts
It may be possible to salvage the studs off of your existing turbo. Just get two nuts that fit the threads. Use one nut as a lock and the other to remove the stud. It might be best to buy new ones but if you are in a pinch it it's worth a try.
funny you mention that I brought it up to my dad and he recommended the same thing! Lmao thanks for the advice if these bolts end up not working that will be my next move. There's one bolt that's a PITA to get to because it's screwed in under the turbo and you are at it blind. I think the bolts my best bet to get that on while keeping my sanity lol
Old 05-12-2017, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JimmyChee
I bet the bolts would work. How do you like the turbo and does it seem like an OEM part?
I like it, it looks very clean and new and honestly every piece has matched the existing turbo to a T. Even the space where the etched in plate was showing the type and model #. Tho I didn't take a real deep look at the plate to see the info on it. I'm not real big into car parts so I can't say I'm the best judge but if it's not OEM they got that **** down right. It came with gaskets too its just missing replacement washers and those studs lol
Old 05-12-2017, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I didn't take a whole bunch of photos but it's 90% in now with my bolts tightened as of tonight. Tomorrow's a full day of rain but I'll have it all wrapped up Sunday to rest!

Old 05-14-2017, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update:

got the turbo in and everything reconnected. It is still not working and I've now got an oil leake from the oil return valve under the turbo that is connected with two hex bolts. My new turbo came with a gasket that seemed to be made of carbon fiber. Anyone else know if they have a gasket in this spot on their turbo? Also if anyone has any ideas as to what else may be keeping my turbo from working I'd appreciate any help! At idle and driving around the block I got 0 psi on the gauge the entire time...

Quick Reply: 2007 Audi A4 Turbo Replacement Problem