Need some opinions on blown engine..

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some opinions on blown engine..

Long-time AudiWorld member here trying to help my daughter and son-in-law. 2014 A4 2.0T with 35k miles. Dealer serviced. Oil change last October. Oil level OK. My daughter was driving to school when the engine started shaking and the EPC and oil lights came on. She stopped immediately, shut it off and looked under the car for anything leaking. She restarted it and drove to a nearby rest area. The car was towed to AudiDallas. A compression test revealed 60 psi compression in cylinder #3. Borescope showed damaged cylinder wall. Code thrown for bad Injector. Factory warranty expired in November 2017. AudiDallas says they can't negotiate with Audi unless they do a $1,000 teardown to get a solid diagnosis.
So.. First question is what is the likelihood that Audi will replace or fix this engine that went out of warranty on time by four months and not miles? Second question is with a 60 psi compression test and borescope pictures in hand from a dealer, is a $1,000 teardown/diagnosis really necessary to move forward with Audi?
Thanks in advance for any help or thoughts. These "kids" owe $18k on their first car purchase and they're devastated. C.

Edit: I posted this on the B8 board and didn't get a single reply. They're going ahead with the $1,000 teardown in hopes of getting better news or better support. If it's a broken ring, then maybe not a new engine. If not, then maybe good treatment from Audi. Then there's the issue of them not being the original owners. We've had 5 Audi's in our family and her husband's fam bought an original allroad new and drove it for years.
What caused this? Lean condition in #3? Don't hear much about failed injectors burning pistons. Can someone educate me on this?

Last edited by Crispin; 03-30-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to read about your issue with your daughter's and son-in-law's car. After reading your post, some thoughts come to mind:
1. Since it was purchased as a used car, it is extremely difficult to tell how the previous Owner or Owners drove and maintained the car. Hard to say the real condition of the car when your daughter acquired it. It is best to buy a CPO used Audi.
2. I am compelled to blame it on oil starvation but you mentioned that oil level was OK. And, oil consumption issues are no longer an issue for 2014 MY Audis. My next suspect would be failed timing chain guide. This would cause the camshafts to get out of sync and damage pistons and cylinder walls.
3. If you play your cards properly, it may be possible to get Audi to help out to resolve this problem. With 5 Audi's in your family (I assume that you buy from the same dealer), I believe there is a good possibility of some goodwill from Audi. The $1,000 tear-down charge by the dealer is something that I am uncomfortable with. I am guessing that the dealer is playing it safe buy charging you with the tear down in case Audi does not extend assistance. Do they really need a complete engine tear-down? I bet you that just removing the cylinder head is enough for them to get a better picture of the problem that caused the damage. A top end tear-down is much cheaper than an entire engine tear down.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, I am wondering if you can provide an update as to what happened with your children’s A4. I have a 2015 A3 2.0T and had the exact same thing happen to me. I was driving down the road (with no prior problems or warning signs) and my car started shaking and the EPS light came on and I am now told the engine needs to be replaced. I purchased it used 6 months ago (it had 41k miles when purchased) and it has 53k miles now. My parents and I are also loyal Audi/VW drivers (owning 7 over the past 15 years) and we are not sure where to go from here.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sarah Smith
Hello, I am wondering if you can provide an update as to what happened with your children’s A4. I have a 2015 A3 2.0T and had the exact same thing happen to me. I was driving down the road (with no prior problems or warning signs) and my car started shaking and the EPS light came on and I am now told the engine needs to be replaced. I purchased it used 6 months ago (it had 41k miles when purchased) and it has 53k miles now. My parents and I are also loyal Audi/VW drivers (owning 7 over the past 15 years) and we are not sure where to go from here.
to follow up, I was told I have 1 piston that is totally dead and the other 3 are working at half power.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

The dilemma of course is that the owner needs the car asap usually and going about this strategically might take a bit more time. Personally I would not trust what the dealer is say because they do not have your interests in mind, nor should they, they are in business to make money. Yes that includes making people happy so they come back an buy again but only if it results in profit in the long run.

I would contact Audi Corporate directly and start a dialogue after doing some homework. The homework would be to do some research (googling) to try and find any kind of trend in this particular model motor failing prematurely with some common point(s) of failure, pointing to a manufacturing problem. So if you find info of this type you go in strong and make your case with corporate as to why you feel they should take care of the issue. If you find nothing to support a pattern and it seems you are out there by yourself then you play on corporate sympathies for a "family of Audi loyalists" and ask for help on this. They may give you full or partial but go in positively. Make the letter personal and positive.

List of many known issues, timing chain being one I would focus on. https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/au...-problems.html

Last edited by 1stGOAT; 01-26-2020 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2014 A4

This is exactly what happened with my wife’s 2014 A4 S Line. It has 49K miles. All the maintenance has been done on time. Everything described in the original post happened to our car. It’s paid off. But the car has a blown motor at 49K miles and out of warranty. What a ****ty situation. This is my second Audi with my first being an A4 Avant Quattro with electrical problems. This will be my last Audi. But how has Audi USA responded to these problems? Any guidance is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

User Crispin, how was your daughter's engine failure finally resolved.

I am a first owner of the Audi A4 that was purchased from a dealer in 2014. Car has done only 30,000 miles. Experience is identical to what your daughter went through.

I posted my experience on a new thread https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...ilure-3036803/

The problem sounds identical to your daughter's 2014 A4. Car started shaking. EPC and MIL came on.

Dealer says Pressure leak in one cylinder and that there are marks on the wall. Estimating $20,000 to fix it.

Would you be able to share your daughter's experience and how it was resolved. You are welcome to email me if that would be your preferred mode of communication. Thanks in advance