New guy dumb mistake

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy dumb mistake

hey everyone, first time Audi owner. I picked up a 2017 A4 premium plus for my wife. We love it, and it’s the nicest car I’ve owned.

Tonight I was changing the oil using the extractor method, I’m usually a drain plug guy, but had one and gave it a go.

I pulled out about 5 qts, and everything was going smooth. Then I noticed the last few inches of hose material must’ve broke off inside the sump.

I immediately thought that I’d need to pull the pan off and retrieve the broken piece, by my lift at work was occupied for the next few days.

Then I thought the pickup strainer would surely not allow anything past, and I could take my time with planning this out properly, getting the right gasket, looking at the torque specs etc...

so so I filled it up with oil and drive home, about 4 miles. Everything seems fine.

My question to you all, how involved is piulling the pan? And is it even time critical for a 4” section of plastic tubing?

Im mechanically inclined, been turning wrenches for the last 18 years in the Coast Guard. Mostly big diesels found in large ships, MTU, Caterpillar, Detroit, Mann, and Fairbanks Morse. I’m also a certified Honda Marine mechanic.

Im open to all feedback and suggestions. This car only has 18k on it and I’d like to keep it optimum.

Thanks

brian
Old 12-01-2018, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update to the situation,
i ordered the digital FSM, and saw that the oil sensor goes into the sump, so I bought that seal and a new drain plug from the dealer.

Put it up on my lift, and pulled the splash plate, 10 minute job max. Drained the oil and pulled the oil sensor, but it’s a separate part of the plastic sump, no access to the rest.

I boroscoped the oil drain hole and was able to macguyver a section out with a hollow tube and wire, making a snare.

The orher section is too is too far back, I tried everything imaginable. Pulled the extractor tube, blasted compressed air, made a super shop vac, nothing worked.

I had to button it all up and walk away defeated.

The only way to pull that lower pan is to lift the engine unfortunately.

Gonna have to pay a shop anywhere from 500-700 bucks now.

Ill never use an extractor again.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PNW_cruiser
hey everyone, first time Audi owner. I picked up a 2017 A4 premium plus for my wife. We love it, and it’s the nicest car I’ve owned.

Tonight I was changing the oil using the extractor method, I’m usually a drain plug guy, but had one and gave it a go.

I pulled out about 5 qts, and everything was going smooth. Then I noticed the last few inches of hose material must’ve broke off inside the sump.

I immediately thought that I’d need to pull the pan off and retrieve the broken piece, by my lift at work was occupied for the next few days.

Then I thought the pickup strainer would surely not allow anything past, and I could take my time with planning this out properly, getting the right gasket, looking at the torque specs etc...

so so I filled it up with oil and drive home, about 4 miles. Everything seems fine.

My question to you all, how involved is piulling the pan? And is it even time critical for a 4” section of plastic tubing?

Im mechanically inclined, been turning wrenches for the last 18 years in the Coast Guard. Mostly big diesels found in large ships, MTU, Caterpillar, Detroit, Mann, and Fairbanks Morse. I’m also a certified Honda Marine mechanic.

Im open to all feedback and suggestions. This car only has 18k on it and I’d like to keep it optimum.

Thanks

brian
Sorry no clue how to remedy but yours is a cautionary tale for those who use extractors. Can you provide some detail re extractor make, tube material/condition/age and other factors which might throw some light on the failure? The tube that came with my Air America Topsider extractor is very flexible (maybe too flexible as fixing in place needs fiddling) and so difficult to see how it would fail.
Please update your situation, it's very interesting.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by morris39
Sorry no clue how to remedy but yours is a cautionary tale for those who use extractors. Can you provide some detail re extractor make, tube material/condition/age and other factors which might throw some light on the failure? The tube that came with my Air America Topsider extractor is very flexible (maybe too flexible as fixing in place needs fiddling) and so difficult to see how it would fail.
Please update your situation, it's very interesting.

update to my situation- I paid for the FSM and looked at the exploded diagram, and found that there’s an oil sensor in the bottom of the sump. I purchased the seal for that and a new drain plug, and went to work yesterday.

I have a lift at work, and a boroscope. I drained the oil (splash shield only took 10 minutes to remove) and drained the oil.

I pulled the oil sensor, but it’s “walled off” inside the sump, no access to the rest. I was able to boroscope the inside from the oil drain plug, and using a combination of a long scribe and hollow tube with wire (think dog catcher rig) was able to grab a piece.

Not good enough however, there’s still another section in the sump, and I tried everything to get it moved, not gonna happen. I even pulled the dipstick tube and tried from above. I tried a super vacuum with flex hose to grab it, no dice. I even blasted compressed air to try and move it. It’s wedged under a baffle plate I presume.

There is is absolutely no clearance between the pan and steering. The FSM states you have to lift the engine to get at it. Ughhhhb

i buttoned it all up and called it a day. I received two separate quotes from local European specialty shops, both estimated 5 hours labor, anywhere from 550-700 dollars.

That’s the route I’m going. I don’t mind working on my own stuff, but I’m not lifting an engine in a new car, and possibly voiding a warranty.

Chances are are this thing would never cause problems, but I can’t be sure. 700 bucks is cheap insurance instead of a potential catastrophic failure down the road due to lack of oil.

I used a standard extractor, but went to the hardware store and bought several feet of 1/4” poly style flex tubing (supposed to be heat resistant)

i screwed up by pushing too too far in I believe, maybe it made contact with a hot metal components, and broke off, but I have no idea.

After this ordeal I’m going to spend the 10
additional minutes to pull the splash shield and drain it the old fashioned way.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the update, very interesting. Still a puzzle to me. You say used a standard poly tube. If poly propylene there should be no heat problem but if ethylene then it might well have softened, stuck to the sump and later broke. Melt point of ethylene is not much above 100 deg C, a not unexpected pf oil.
Strange thing is that I only got notification of your today and that no one else seemed interested in this very unusual occurrence. Good luck with your repair.