oil change intervals for 2.0T TT?

Old 04-17-2015, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change intervals for 2.0T TT?

I've been using 0-40 mobile 1 or Castro platinum. And noticed that oils won't last more than 3000 miles.
So my question is is it normal?
Can I stop off the oil until I hit over 5-7k miles?
BBecause I've done 4 time of oil change in 14k miles.
And I'm fairly new to audi.
Please let me know if there's any suggestions

Thank you
Old 04-17-2015, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by dies1004

And noticed that oils won't last more than 3000 miles.

Dies, welcome aboard! What does this mean?
Old 04-17-2015, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Dies, welcome aboard! What does this mean?

Oh... I meant to say that oil minimum indicator sign appears around at 2-4I miles after changing to new oils..
There's no sign of large leak.
So I'm trying to see if it's ok to top it off instead of new oil change.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2015, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I think most people would top off the oil.

If you are in the USA, the Mobil 1 0W40 is a very good product and meets the VAG specification.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I think most people would top off the oil.

If you are in the USA, the Mobil 1 0W40 is a very good product and meets the VAG specification.
Thank you

I guess I should try that from now on
Old 04-26-2015, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

5k miles full synthetic. 10k mile oil changes are the death of these poor engines. Just top off as necessary. You really shouldn't be using more than a quart or two between changes. Any more and you may be in on the class action oil consumption lawsuit.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Question

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
5k miles full synthetic. 10k mile oil changes are the death of these poor engines. Just top off as necessary. You really shouldn't be using more than a quart or two between changes. Any more and you may be in on the class action oil consumption lawsuit.
Hey Prospeeder....what did you mean by that? At what mileage should the oil changes be done. I do know that driving habits & hwy/city mileage factors in as well.

I just got my A4 B6 Quattro in January & put just over 400 highway miles on it every week. Will my dash display alert me when it's due? I had a couple old E36 Bimmers as my last 2 cars & I'd just follow the light bar & reset after oil change is done.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this. No intention of hijacking this thread, but it's sort of an extension of the OP's question....
Old 04-27-2015, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BungalowMo
Hey Prospeeder....what did you mean by that? At what mileage should the oil changes be done. I do know that driving habits & hwy/city mileage factors in as well.

I just got my A4 B6 Quattro in January & put just over 400 highway miles on it every week. Will my dash display alert me when it's due? I had a couple old E36 Bimmers as my last 2 cars & I'd just follow the light bar & reset after oil change is done.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this. No intention of hijacking this thread, but it's sort of an extension of the OP's question....
The problem is small oil capacity, and a very hot running turbo engine, oil just cannot withstand to be used 10k miles, it just cant. any 1.8T or 2.0T car should have full synthetic oil every 5k miles to keep the engine and turbo happy. Its not by chance so many 1.8T cars have sludge problems, turbo failure, bearing failure ect, or 2.0T cars with worn out cams, bad turbos, plugged up chain tensioner screen ect. The alert on the dash waits 10k miles, ignore that, put a sticker in the window, keep it around 5000 miles and it will last seemingly forever.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The problem is small oil capacity, and a very hot running turbo engine, oil just cannot withstand to be used 10k miles, it just cant. any 1.8T or 2.0T car should have full synthetic oil every 5k miles to keep the engine and turbo happy. Its not by chance so many 1.8T cars have sludge problems, turbo failure, bearing failure ect, or 2.0T cars with worn out cams, bad turbos, plugged up chain tensioner screen ect. The alert on the dash waits 10k miles, ignore that, put a sticker in the window, keep it around 5000 miles and it will last seemingly forever.
Thanks...mine is the 3.0. No turbo. So even with 90% highway miles I should change at 5k? Just looking for a more educated opinion than mine, since I've only had it a few months...
Had an Audi 5000 years ago & an 80 about 8 or 9 years ago. Always did love em!!
Old 04-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thank you for the good advise.

That's good to know.
Thanks again for the advise and I guess I've been doing ok with my TT since I've been changing the oils per every 3500~5k miles.
and I wonder if the temperature can be lowered on the turbo at all..
Any solutions you can suggest ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil change intervals for 2.0T TT?