'03 A6 2.7t with 68K. Noise at start up. Please help diagnose...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 A6 2.7t with 68K. Noise at start up. Please help diagnose...

the problem. The noise seemed like a high pitched grinding noise, like a band saw, sounded like metal on metal to me. It was really loud the 1st (Monday) & 2nd (Tuesday) times I started engine cold a week ago. Did not drive it either time. Smoke came out from under the car the second day I started it, I quickly turned it off and I have not seen the smoke again.

The third time I started it (Thursday) the noise was present but was not as loud. The noise seemed to go away after it warmed up and the choke turned off. Same thing on the 4th start up (Friday), I then drove it to my indy mechanic. I did not hear the noise while driving it. The Indy thinks the noise is coming from the left turbo but he is not sure, he said the noise is defineatly from the back left section of the engine as you face it. I did not notice any loss of power when I drove it either. No engine CEL codes or alarms.

Can it be a turbo impellor? Why is the noise present when the engine is cold? Is it a sign of complete failure to come? Any other ideas would be appreciated. Also posted on the A6 B5 page.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default if a turbo is dying, it won't quit making noise.

do you have enough oil in the engine? is this a manual or tip?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same problem with my allroad. Don't know what the problem is.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

have you checked your power steering fluid?
Old 04-04-2007, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how would that cause smoke?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default are you 100% positive that it is coming from the back left? i thought i had the exact same issue as

you until i read your entire post, mine is coming from the front driver side... sounds exactly the same, at first start up, for about a minute or two, the noise is present, then goes away... then when i park and let the car idle to cool off, i start hearing it again...

i have an additional thing with mine though, my a/c no longer works, AND when my car smoked it was coming from the same place as the a/c compressor is, it was a horrible smell (not coolant, or engine oil, or burning rubber)... my guess, through prrocess of elimination, is that its my a/c compressor... but i DEFINITELY know it is something on my acc belt line, because when i remove the belt, and start the car, i hear no noise (you should try that, but don't let the car run for longer than a few seconds, you'll drain your battery, among other things)

no difference in car's performance, or CEL's thrown...
Old 04-05-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Re: 'Maybe secondary air injection pump for emissions system?

I don't know about smoke part, but maybe secondary air injection pump.

Had one go on my allroad and at startup sounded like high pitched whine (bearing), but after 30 seconds when it shuts off it went away. It was also worse on cold days. Pump is located on back of motor.

Don't know for sure, but something to think about.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: if a turbo is dying, it won't quit making noise.

I have the same sound on my 2000 2.7t. Has anyone solved this problem?
Old 04-19-2007, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re: if a turbo is dying, it won't quit making noise.

The noise in the front appears to be coming from the fan on mine.
To troubleshoot a little further, turn off your environmental sys. On mine, the noise goes away, but returns everytime I turn it back on.

And yes, I have the same secondary air pump issue. My 3rd pump is seized, and blew the fuse.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Re: '03 A6 2.7t with 68K. Noise at start up. Please help diagnose...

I agree with allroadtoski, sound like the air pump. If you only hear it on cold starts, and it's coming from the rear passanger side of the engine bay, that's probably it. My 2000 2.7T A6 had a similar problem, and my mechanic said that it only effects emmisions (so if you have to have it checked, you may have stored codes, which can be cleared.) I priced replacing the pump (which I think sits in front of the the front passanger firewall) I think it would cost at least $500 for the part. He pretty much told me to wait till the pump dies, and you throw a code, then fix it (He said it wouldn't ruin my emmissions system or cause more damage)

Quick Reply: '03 A6 2.7t with 68K. Noise at start up. Please help diagnose...