2.7 t-turbo accelerating problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7 t-turbo accelerating problems

my s4 has a weird handicap. when accelerating it will go fine but for some reason at 5000rpm spot on it looks as if a stage 2 is activated and the car accelerates alot faster. I feel as though this isn't normal. went to the dealer and had the ecu read, said that both temperaturesensors in the exhausts where broken and the result was a lean mixture. tried to replace those sensors but the problem remains. anybody have any thoughts about this?
Old 11-29-2008, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default so, you have replaced your EGT sensors?

FYI, you'd actually run rich if the EGT sensors were bad, so they were full of it, as it puts the car into limp mode.

might want to find someone local and have them vagcom your car to check for other codes.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sounds like they told you to change out your 02 sensors. <~ uh why?

I agree with quickaudi:STFA have your car checked with a Vag-com and then see what comes up.

EGTs can retard or advance timing and can make your car run rich or lean.

Oh by the way, its good practice to clear codes after replacing any parts to see if the problem remains or has gone away. Check to see if you have codes still lingering, clear them, go for a drive, check for codes again and go from there.

Where are you located. There are many people on here who own a Vag-Com and would be willing to help.

Or maybe you have a chip and you don't even know it. That would be cool.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:24 AM

Default Re: 2.7 t-turbo accelerating problems

Im from the netherlands hence the wrong name for what you call the egt-senors, I stopped by at a vw dealer and I was looking along when the computer they hooked up came back with the results so I'm pretty sure thats what it said. now I dont know offcourse if it told the truth. tomorow they wanted to take both egt-sensors out to check them manually but since that alone would cost me 175 bucks to just have them checked I replaced them with 2 used sensors for 200 bucks (2 new ones would have costed me 550 bucks wich would have been added). I didn't "clear the codes though" I assume you mean I need to hook it up and kindoff "reset" the problem reports? thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:59 AM

I unhooked the battery for an hour so if im right the ecu should have reset but now its worse. no boost or irregular low boost up till 5k rpm. at 5k it revs like it should (I think) definetely some form of limb mode but why? I'll have it checked again... no leakage... doesn't fit the symptoms anyway but someone mentioned it...
Old 11-30-2008, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sorry but this isn't Honda....

Unplugging the battery for even a day does NOT clear the memory on the S4. Trust me I tried.

I had hesitation under wide open throttle and a flashing check engine light. Solution, new EGTs. Car runs perfect now.

You will have to get the codes cleared. Or at least check what new codes you have now.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd. methinks that your used EGTs might not be in good shape, either.

either way, please have someone clear your codes for you
Old 12-02-2008, 11:33 AM

I got myself a vag-com cable last sunday for 25 US after reading about it on this forum and I was able to clear the fault-codes. after firing her up and goin around the block I rescaned the ecu and it came back with 1 egt-sensor left whining... well I bought 2 used egt's for the price they were gonna charge me just to check if the problem even was those egt's, so 1 dying on me is ok. ordered a new one so in 3 days she should be purrin again. costs so far: 720 US, I saved about 450 US by fixing this car myself wich took about 5h including 3h to pick up the cable. thanx for the help and hopefully next time I wont be the one needing help.

I did some checkin on the maintenace history but my s4 belonged to 1 owner until a week ago and he serviced it completely every 15k... I might just be one of those lucky problemfree s4-owners afterall. except for the last problem offcourse

Audi s4-b5
2.7 bi-turbo
195kw,
09-1998,
I paid 10500 US, and she's 'stock' down to the bone,

Total costs excluding insurance &amp; Tax: 11220US
Old 12-02-2008, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yup, I'd agree with it being the EGT sensor
Old 12-02-2008, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Funny, EGT was my first problem too. I dislike those things.

By the way, I assume your using an eBay Vag-Com cable. Those are nice and cheap but nothing compares to the real Vag-Com cable.

Glad you found out what the problem was.

Vag-Com rules!

By the way, what year is your S4?

If you have two black EGTs (2000) you might be able to use the "good" EGT that came off the car.
If you have, a Tan and Black EGT (2001-2001.5), they are side specific and are not interchangeable. The Black EGTs can go on either side.

quickaudi:STFA correct me if I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: 2.7 t-turbo accelerating problems