AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   2.7T V6 Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/2-7t-v6-discussion-107/)
-   -   2.7T (allroad) Engine Won't Crank When Warm (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/2-7t-v6-discussion-107/2-7t-allroad-engine-wont-crank-when-warm-2847003/)

YKallroad 05-06-2013 07:20 AM

2.7T (allroad) Engine Won't Crank When Warm

Just bought a 2002 allroad, 190 000km. Many parts have been replaced, thorough service history.

After driving home from work (or another drive long enough to heat everything up) and shutting the car off, it won't restart right away. It will not even crank a full revolution. It kind of starts to turn over and just hangs. Two or three attempts, wait 10 seconds, and then it starts. Any ideas?

New battery, new alternator in the past two years, new starter in the past five years.

Thanks.

YKallroad 05-06-2013 11:40 AM

More Information

Today it was the first real summer day in Edmonton, 25*C when I went out to start the car for the first time.

Same (no)cranking issue.

Is vapour lock still a thing? ;)

Prospeeder 05-06-2013 12:55 PM

well if it was vapor lock then it would crank, im sure you were joking tho. Sounds like the starter failed. They like to fail hot, especially on a hot soak after a drive. If you can find the small wire going to the starter, when the key is turn to start a 12v signal should be sent to the starter. if it does an d no action, bad starter

YKallroad 05-10-2013 08:35 PM

Booked into the shop for starter replacement, but...

Originally Posted by Prospeeder (Post 24440692)
well if it was vapor lock then it would crank, im sure you were joking tho. Sounds like the starter failed. They like to fail hot, especially on a hot soak after a drive. If you can find the small wire going to the starter, when the key is turn to start a 12v signal should be sent to the starter. if it does an d no action, bad starter

The starter was replaced in November, is it possible that it's failed already? Price was $250, cheap reman job?

YKallroad 05-12-2013 10:46 AM

Could a faulty ECT sensor cause this?

The starter that was put in in November 2012 was a $250 unit, that's not a cheap reman, it can't be?

Can someone verify that a faulty ECT sensor could cause a no crank situation, only when hot?

YKallroad 05-14-2013 07:56 AM

Talking to myself here

I pulled the relay for the starter interlock and cleaned the connections. Seems like that did the trick, but I only had a day to verify as it was going into the shop for some other issues.

The shop seems to think it's a buggy positive battery cable, but will also test the starter and report the results.

LaserRedB5S4 05-15-2013 12:41 AM

A faulty ECT should cause limp mode but you should crank. Sounds like a starter issue. Does it make no noise when you try and crank it or does it make a noise and then not crank? There should be a click for the solenoid engaging and then a typical cranking noise. Improper amperage due to a faulty wire or battery would crank weekly or not at all.

You have a 6 speed, just pop-start it everywhere you go for now on. Problem solved.

YKallroad 05-15-2013 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by LaserRedB5S4 (Post 24443531)
A faulty ECT should cause limp mode but you should crank. Sounds like a starter issue. Does it make no noise when you try and crank it or does it make a noise and then not crank? There should be a click for the solenoid engaging and then a typical cranking noise. Improper amperage due to a faulty wire or battery would crank weekly or not at all.

You have a 6 speed, just pop-start it everywhere you go for now on. Problem solved.

Haven't had to resort to the pop clutch start yet, but I have been parking on hill where available, just in case!

The car would attempt to roll over, but it wouldn't even get one revolution. The shop thinks it's a faulty positive battery cable (starter and battery are new) so we'll see if that fixed it.

I swear, though, it started better once I pulled the interlock relay and cleaned the connections.

YKallroad 05-25-2013 02:59 PM

SOLVED - new positive battery cable

They went up two gauges and all is well. $21 worth of parts, two hours to install (it's quite the process!)