AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   2.7T V6 Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/2-7t-v6-discussion-107/)
-   -   2000 a6 2.7t camshaft reinstall (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/2-7t-v6-discussion-107/2000-a6-2-7t-camshaft-reinstall-2839070/)

hardiek 12-16-2012 10:49 AM

2000 a6 2.7t camshaft reinstall

what is the best way to reinstall the camshafts on a 2000 audi a6 2.7t?

Also, is it true that there are 16 cam chain rollers between camshaft marks on the passenger side and 15 1/2 on the drivers side? if so how do you measure 15 1/2?

Thanks

P4Ring 01-21-2013 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by hardiek (Post 24383928)
what is the best way to reinstall the camshafts on a 2000 audi a6 2.7t?

Also, is it true that there are 16 cam chain rollers between camshaft marks on the passenger side and 15 1/2 on the drivers side? if so how do you measure 15 1/2?

Thanks

Assuming the crankshaft is lock at TDC with the special tool to prevent movement.

THIS PROCEDURE IS BASED ON MY 2.7t 2002 A6 Allroad, I AM NOT SURE IF ALL 2.7ts ARE ALIKE WITH THIS PROCEDURE.

This is better done with two sets of hands, even thou I have done it with one set (lol)

On the passenger side (USA) the camshaft must be rolled back about 15 degrees or so to release the tension from the valve springs. (this wont hurt anything because now all the valves will be closed, which mean they are NOT pushing towards the pistons and will not collide with anything)

If not rolled back, the tension from the springs will be forcing the camshaft up and you have to tighten the bolts to push the camshafts down (seated)..that is if the bolts are even long enough. This is not good as it may cause the treads in the cylinder head or the bolts to have pre-mature wear.

Place camshafts in position. Take note that you need to rotate them back by the same amount after you tighten and torque the bolts. When you rotate them (i think clockwise) stop when the notch in the camshafts that mark TDC aligns with the cylinder head notch. Use the tool that lock both camshafts to rotate the cams. I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING LOCKING PLIERS. This is the same tool I use to rotate the cams back. It prevents them from flying back with a bang! Once all valves are closed, put the cams back in. Tighten the cam caps in a diagonal manner as outlined in the repair manual. Torque the bolts to 7 foot lbs.

At this time the cams will hold that position without moving. IF YOU ARE NOT WORKING ON THE OTHER SIDE NEXT, KEEP THEM LOCK WITH THE TOOL AND DONT PUT BACK ON THE CYLINDER HEAD COVER UNTIL YOU DO BOTH SIDES. See what I mean below. That's it, cams in. Repeat the same process for the driver side (USA) only this time all the valves are closed already by engine design so just align the cams at TDC and bolt them down.

NOTE: the cam chain may seem tight or lose but it take some rotation with the timing belt on..engine in timing..to get it to look normal again.

As for the count, I honestly cannot tell the proper technique in counting. I count from the pivot point (rollers) in the chain and the driver side was still one tooth off...which by the way will trigger the engine check light (16730 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G163) P0346 - 35-00 - Implausible Signal) and force you to do it all over again just to slip the chain a tooth.

To make sure the count is correct, do your count, install the cams, replace timing belt, rotate engine clockwise and ensure that the notch in the camshaft on both banks (driver and passenger) are align with the notch marked on the cylinder head. This is the reason for not replacing the valve cover until you are done. If the notch aligns at TDC on every revolution, job is complete.

Be proud of yourself.

mc_hotmail 01-27-2013 09:27 PM

Check out this thread for your reference:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2833885

P4Ring 01-28-2013 03:56 PM

That is exactly what happened to me, i followed Bentley and not Blauparts. Bentley says 16 rollers and Blauparts says 15-1/2.

Blauparts is right. 16 is only for the passenger side. After counting 16 and install everything the problem will be obvious.

If you think about it, each side have a different profile. (All valves are closed on driver side, not so on passenger side.)

Who would have thought the company that is authorized by Audi to give us information lead us in the wrong direction.

I had a similar problem with Bentley before: They had me tear down my wheel well covers on the wrong side of the car looking for an evap pump. When I could not find it I check the other side and there it was.