2000 a6 2.7t tranny help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 a6 2.7t tranny help!

I'm new to this completely so bare with me. I just bought a 2000 2.7t a couple days ago an whithin hours after the check engine light came on. Complete surprise as it starts perfect an runs like a champ. Well I took it to my friend an jiffy lube the next day, both of them checked with the hand held device an it popped up the p0741 (torque converter). The next day we took it in to my mechanic even though he doesn't tend to work on audis or transmissions an he looked it over an said it doesn't look to be the torque converter but the module? I'm not sure what that is but I am nervous to take my car anywhere else than someone I trust cause of shady people. Especially since Audis are expensive to fix. We dropped it off at a tranny shop my mechanic suggested an they won't be able to even look at it till monday. My question though is has anyone else been through this with their car? What are some signs I mat have noticed with either possibility..? Any advice is appreciated!
Old 12-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds like you got screwed. The P0741 code pops up when you have a faulty torque converter. so youre probably looking at spending around $4,000 once it dies.

Look at 517trans.com for parts when the time comes.

Also, Ive had the check engine light for this for a few months now..

Originally Posted by katee.19
I'm new to this completely so bare with me. I just bought a 2000 2.7t a couple days ago an whithin hours after the check engine light came on. Complete surprise as it starts perfect an runs like a champ. Well I took it to my friend an jiffy lube the next day, both of them checked with the hand held device an it popped up the p0741 (torque converter). The next day we took it in to my mechanic even though he doesn't tend to work on audis or transmissions an he looked it over an said it doesn't look to be the torque converter but the module? I'm not sure what that is but I am nervous to take my car anywhere else than someone I trust cause of shady people. Especially since Audis are expensive to fix. We dropped it off at a tranny shop my mechanic suggested an they won't be able to even look at it till monday. My question though is has anyone else been through this with their car? What are some signs I mat have noticed with either possibility..? Any advice is appreciated!
Old 12-23-2013, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Contact TozoM8 on this forum (pm him, he normally lurks around the D2 A8 forum).
He is a 5 speed tranny expert and will point you in the right direction.

I don't know the P0741 code for sure, but sometimes it's the lock-in pin for the torque converter, which isn't vital to operation, but it does reduce slippage and make the transmission more efficient.
What it does indicate though is that the transmission is wearing and may have burned/worn fluid. AWD's put more stress on fluid and transmissions than 2WDs tend to.
Don't just go replacing the fluid or anything without talking to TozoM8 though, as this has been known to make matters worse once the tranny gets to this stage.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had this code also in 01 allroad. Ordered tc from 517 and pulled tranny, thats when I found cracked race bearing in front pump where tc seats. I ended up getting a used tranny from force 5 in nh and put new tc in that. I did a lot of research when I first got the code and some people drive with it for a long time but there is the possibility of seizing tc to pump and creating much more work. you want to get a reputable tc or you could buy a tc with the same faulty guts.