2001 A6 2.7T Broken Timing Chain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 A6 2.7T Broken Timing Chain?

I just picked up a 2001 A6 with the 2.7T (116,000 miles), and have done minimal troubleshooting, but believe that it has a broken timing chain in the passenger side head.

Gently turning the crankshaft yields about 90 degrees of movement, and then will not move any farther. Upon removing the upper timing belt covers, I found white "nail polish" markings on the cam sprockets, telling me that a timing belt service has been done at some point. While turning the crankshaft, the cam sprockets move as they should, and when the holes for the camshaft holding tool should line up, they do.

The passenger side valve cover is easier to approach, so I started looking at that one. I removed the camshaft position sensor from the intake camshaft, and while turning the crankshaft, I get only little hints of movement from that cam. I'm obviously going to check the other side, but it appears to me that the timing chain on that passenger side head has broken, or the tensioner has failed.

Is this a safe diagnosis at this point? I've searched, but there is not much information regarding broken timing chains. If I can avoid taking off both heads, that would be fantastic. Of course when I get the passenger side head off, I can rotate the crank by hand, and if it seems free, I may be all right.

Also, if there's anyone in the Savannah, GA area that wants to lend a hand, I'm game for it. Or if anyone in the area has a 30V V6 cam tool, that would be awesome too.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And will my 40V 4.2 cam tool work on the 30V 2.7T??? Holding it up there, it seems to line up. That would be one less tool to buy...
Old 07-05-2011, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steckrca
And will my 40V 4.2 cam tool work on the 30V 2.7T??? Holding it up there, it seems to line up. That would be one less tool to buy...
The cam shaft holding bars are different between the 2.8l 30V V6 and the 40V 4.2 V8.
I bought both of them, but the camshaft belts are the same if I remember correctly.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steckrca
I just picked up a 2001 A6 with the 2.7T (116,000 miles), and have done minimal troubleshooting, but believe that it has a broken timing chain in the passenger side head.

Gently turning the crankshaft yields about 90 degrees of movement, and then will not move any farther. Upon removing the upper timing belt covers, I found white "nail polish" markings on the cam sprockets, telling me that a timing belt service has been done at some point. While turning the crankshaft, the cam sprockets move as they should, and when the holes for the camshaft holding tool should line up, they do.

The passenger side valve cover is easier to approach, so I started looking at that one. I removed the camshaft position sensor from the intake camshaft, and while turning the crankshaft, I get only little hints of movement from that cam. I'm obviously going to check the other side, but it appears to me that the timing chain on that passenger side head has broken, or the tensioner has failed.

Is this a safe diagnosis at this point? I've searched, but there is not much information regarding broken timing chains. If I can avoid taking off both heads, that would be fantastic. Of course when I get the passenger side head off, I can rotate the crank by hand, and if it seems free, I may be all right.

Also, if there's anyone in the Savannah, GA area that wants to lend a hand, I'm game for it. Or if anyone in the area has a 30V V6 cam tool, that would be awesome too.
I have worked on Audi 30V V6 engines that had bent valves that still allowed the crankshaft to rotate without interference. Many bent valve Audi V6 engines
will however be locked up during some part of the crankshaft rotation. If you read some of the problem postings in Audi world related to hard to diagnose misfiring you will see bent valves are often the cause. If I were doing the repair on your A6 biturbo I would remove both cylinder heads and overhaul both of them.